• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kind of cold out so I put the leather tools to work.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

54 Cal.
Reaction score
20191122_171432.jpg
20191122_171353.jpg
20191122_171456.jpg

I'm liking what you did with the horn. Was there any glue involved?
I did use glue but did as a failsafe.
The horn has a grooved knob in the base and there is a groove in the horn at pouring end. Made the sling tabs in an old keyhole shape with a tight fitting hole to fit grooves. They are seperate pieces under the main collar and the tab is pulled through a slot. Sewed the pieces while the leather was wet and pulled the on purpose gaps together so it would be tight when dry. Don't think the collars would ever slip but if they did the tabs were pressed over the ends to the grooves while wet too and fit very tight. Was hard enough getting them on so once dry they are locked in to the point that most likely would have to cut them to get them loose. Was an experiment just see if I could make somthing a bit out of the ordinary.

I don't have a horn as yet, planned to try my hand at one this winter. That look and spout might be what I try. Thanks for posting.
I also appreciate the compartment like nature of the bag. I'm frankly a little jealous! Nice work.

Nice work Bang!
Question...
Is the valved spout you used on the horn threaded so it can take a powder funnel/measure?
The horn was made 45 years ago. It originally had a regular house hold gas valve in it with a piece of copper tubing swadged on the end. I glued this one in to make sure it is solid. The valve had 1/4 npt and was much deeper than this valve. I'm sure one good bump and I'll be corking it. But for now it's functional.

I don't have a horn as yet, planned to try my hand at one this winter. That look and spout might be what I try. Thanks for posting.
I also appreciate the compartment like nature of the bag. I'm frankly a little jealous! Nice work.

Thanks. Was going to do a magic braid on the strap but noticed an odd spot in the leather and figured it would be more durable left alone. I attached the strap to extra long tabs on the bag so if it gives way it will be easy to change and I'll do the magic braid then. Would have made another but it was the last of my long pieces of leather. Just got another 30 sqft of leather, thread, dye and single round rapid rivets. Might try my hand at making a hat. Something flat brimmed like the typical Eastwood style. But till then need to make some kind of easy access container to put in bag for projectiles, swab patches, lube and stuff. I've found used primer tins are very handy for shooting patches.
Got a high school buddy that lives in Harrisburg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back