• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIMBER COLONIAL RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NEW Kibler Colonial Rifle

I think this one will be a keeper. I assembled it last December, really easy as everyone who has one knows. I gave it to my gun builder buddy who did some carving on it as I do not carve. I wanted some Baroque carving as the rifle is an earlier 1760-1770 style.
1589769766742.jpeg

1589769813135.jpeg

I shot it today and as can be seen in the enclosed images, I think I will keep it. It is a .58 caliber.

1589769862006.jpeg

This target was at 50 yds. 4 shots. Sights have not been touched since I installed them. Love those Rice barrels.
1589769905745.jpeg

That rifle and your shooting are both exceptional. I assume that was shot from a bench. How does it hold and group off hand? Congrats on a fine sweet shooter!! Greg

The rifle holds well off hand. I am sure it will group as well as the targets show. And yes, they were off a bench. My off hand is not as good as benching, however, the shots I took off hand at gongs in my woods were hits, so I am happy with the rifle. I didn't have a .58 other than civil war muskets, so I was thrilled that the .58 with the combo of powder and patch shot as well as it did. A .58 ball weights about 280 grains, and I was concerned with the recoil. It was very comfortable with just 60 grains of FFFg. I am not one to shoot large charges. My Mississippi with a Hoyt barrel does great with 40 grains FFFg. I have a beautiful .50 Lancaster style rifle made by buddy Chris again with a Rice barrel. It is exceptional also. Now which to shoot at the next Girty outing in August? Dilemma!!

Thanks for your reply........I have been wanting one of these Kiblers every since Jim came out with it and since I don’t own a .58.................your rifles wood is nicely figured. Is that the normal or the upgraded wood? Greg 🤠

It is the $100 Fancy maple upgrade. I have a SMR by Kibler with a standard stock and it had a bit of curl in it. I figured that the upgrade might be worth the extra and as can be seen, it definitely is. I have built about 25 guns over the years and found that this one is the easiest to do. I have started with a a blank and have always tried to do a period correct firearm. This one is fantastic. With Jim's videos, it is a cinch. A competent rifle builder could assemble it in an 8 hour day. I think it took me about 12 or so, not counting the carving and finishing.

That rifle is beautiful and amazingly accurate. The carving is perfect IMHO. It's understated and well done.

Back