• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Killed some time on the leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

54 Cal.
Reaction score
157665014211741821532.jpg

How are you cutting your fringes Bang?
I am working on a moose leather one for my Frontier and would like to fringe it but dang that's a lot of cutting...

I lay out the leather in a board and go at it with a razo sharp blade. Next time I'll use something to clamp a double width piece stretched out then cut it and then split in half to make 2 pieces at one time.

Get a rolling fabric cutter from JoAnns or similar fabric store. You might want to use a straight edge with it to keep things lined up. I also steal my wife's from time to time along with the plastic fabric cutting board to keep from dulling the blade and marring a table. She is understanding after almost 50 years. Either that or she has just given up.

Hardest part is getting it flipped right side out after stitching it together. Put a piece of 1/4" rope in between the stitching at the end. Tie a big knot on that end with a length of the rope continuing out. Roll as much as you can right side out. When it comes to the narrow part it will be tough. Put the cover in a tub and get it good and wet. Stand on end already reversed then pull on the rope. Once reversed pull the other end to remove the rope. Then use a broom handle or something similar to push out the end to its shape. Then take a break, you'll need it.

Next time I'll use something to clamp a double width piece stretched out
Soft, heavy, weighted bags are great for helping to keep leather in place. Easily placed and moved, but they don't shift by themselves or mar the surface.

Get a rolling fabric cutter from JoAnns or similar fabric store.
Speaking as someone who goes through upwards of forty sides of leather a year, those are amazing.

Soft, heavy, weighted bags are great for helping to keep leather in place. Easily placed and moved, but they don't shift by themselves or mar the surface.

Speaking as someone who goes through upwards of forty sides of leather a year, those are amazing.

WOW, you do a herd a a year. I've only used about 70 sqft in 2 years. But I mainly do my own and just a few for gifts. I make my own holsters and better than supplied knife sheaths.
Here's one for my recent bought Gil Hibben Old West Bowie.

15767101301701334280040.jpg

Thats a herd per year.
About 70 sqft last 2 years for me.
20191122_171353.jpg
20191122_171456.jpg
1576710939604634416790.jpg

Back