• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kik powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got back into muzzleloaders was not any blackpowder available in my area. Made a lot of trips to get real blackpowder only to find substitutes or nothing. Was able to order through cowboy action shooters that loaded blackpowder cartridges. They liked Kik because of price and worked well. It has worked well for me in both percussion and flintlock. My connection with these guys and the guy that ordered has passed on. I would like to order a mixed case of 2f and 3f. Like the Kik but did not find it listed. Is it sold anywhere? Second choice and who from? Kik gave good loads in shotguns, rifles and handguns. Wasn't hard to clean, suggestions please for something equal to it and dealers. Thanks for replies.

I would go to Grafs and Sons website. (Click in the highlighted Graf and Sons) They offer the various GOEX, Graf's Brand (GOEX), Schuetzen and Swiss brands. All appear to be in stock. If you were satisfied with KIK, then I recommend Graf's brand as the most affordable replacement. Then it would be GOEX.

Powder inc sells kik. I won some at a shoot and tried it shooting good groups and tested several shots over the chronograph and got more consistant velocities than I get with geox. I find it cleans the same. I believe it was what geox resold when their production was shut down a few years back. I shoot it with no problems!

Powder inc sells kik.

Some time ago I bought 25# of it from Powder Inc. However, I just placed another powder order from them and there was no KiK on their website anymore that I could find. They still have it in the sentence that says the brands they carry, but it doesn't seem to be in the detailed product listings anymore.

I won some at a shoot and tried it shooting good groups and tested several shots over the chronograph and got more consistant velocities than I get with geox. I find it cleans the same. I shoot it with no problems!

I agree. I've had great results with this powder. I think it's a little bit dirtier than Goex, but it cleans up just fine. My chrono results were good as far as consistency. I also found these test results on the following website: Comparing Goex, KIK and Elephant brands of black powder

1604203400990.png
I

An internet search has provided no retailers of KiK in the US that I could find.

Thanks, my results were also very good, and consistent from shot to shot with low extreme spreads. It has not been any harder to clean than the Goex I tried. Lights easy in flintlocks even using 2f in pan. Unlike some believe many of the cowboy shooters also want accurate loads.The guy that helped me get the Kik powder was one that also wanted accurate loads in his handguns and rifles. He said the first Kik powder he got wasnt as good as the second. That the second was excellent and shot as good as Swiss in some of his longer range guns. He gave me some different powders to try. For accuracy test I used both muzzleloader and cartridge guns. Kik shot as well for me out of both as anything I tried. I want to use blackpowder instead of substitutes but have tried and used substitutes in both muzzleloader and breech loaders. Out of the substitutes American Pioneer worked well in cartridge, shotgun shells and percussion muzzleloaders but not my flintlocks. I bought a lot of ut and shoot it some in shotguns both muzzleloader and breech loaders to save my real blackpowder for muzzleloaders. Thanks for replies both good and bad, will order a case of Kik if I can find any, if not something else. This thread can be closed before it turns into a discussion about how good or bad different powders are.

KiK was a pretty good powder, it was made for Goex in Europe, originally as a rocket propellant, but there came to be an over supply of it and Goex started selling the excess as a sporting powder.. 2 f was probably the best of the bunch.
Western powders used KIK as the basis for Blackhorn 209.
Unfortunately the plant in Europe is shut down has been for several years, so finding any of the KIK is a rare occasion.

KiK was a pretty good powder, it was made for Goex in Europe, originally as a rocket propellant, but there came to be an over supply of it and Goex started selling the excess as a sporting powder.. 2 f was probably the best of the bunch.
Western powders used KIK as the basis for Blackhorn 209.
Unfortunately the plant in Europe is shut down has been for several years, so finding any of the KIK is a rare occasion.
Very informative, I did not know that.

When I got back into muzzleloaders was not any blackpowder available in my area. Made a lot of trips to get real blackpowder only to find substitutes or nothing. Was able to order through cowboy action shooters that loaded blackpowder cartridges. They liked Kik because of price and worked well. It has worked well for me in both percussion and flintlock. My connection with these guys and the guy that ordered has passed on. I would like to order a mixed case of 2f and 3f. Like the Kik but did not find it listed. Is it sold anywhere? Second choice and who from? Kik gave good loads in shotguns, rifles and handguns. Wasn't hard to clean, suggestions please for something equal to it and dealers. Thanks for replies.

Call Powder Inc. or Graf and Sons

I have been using KIK for many years. It's my favorite. I find it to be in between Goex and Swiss. Powder Inc was the only retailer I knew of, don't believe it has been imported for a long time now, good thing I bought a nice supply when it was.

I have been using KIK for many years. It's my favorite. I find it to be in between Goex and Swiss. Powder Inc was the only retailer I knew of, don't believe it has been imported for a long time now, good thing I bought a nice supply when it was.
Usually buy 50lbs. a year. Shoot every day burn 1 lb a week. Just received 25 lbs from Graf and Sons. It's made by Goex supposed to shoot the same. Let you know in a week.

It has been about five years or more since I got mine. I hate to see them stopped making it. We need as many suppliers as we can get for powder as getting powder has become more costly each year. When I started playing this game in early sixties goex powder was two dollars a lb retail. Less if you bought it by the case, But back then I did not have enough money to get a case.

Found some a guy had that was using to load cartridges. He stopped using blackpowder and went to modern smokeless powders. He needed primers so I gifted him primers, he just gave me his powder. It in nice when Dec 25th comes in November and old guys can exchange gifts :)

Back