• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kids How Not to fire a Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupert

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Check out this video of a small cannon being fired.
This is an example of how not to fire a cannon!
I love the guy with his face at the muzzle,while loading, and am floored by the other guy standing in front of it after it is loaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJgCwvjRzeQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by their knowledge, I wouldn't doubt they used a bic lighter to set it off!! :rotf:

brimstone said:
Judging by their knowledge, I wouldn't doubt they used a bic lighter to set it off!! :rotf:

Is that wrong? Here's my favourite movie of me doing just that... :rotf:

:surrender:

I will the first to acknowledge that I know nothing about how to work a cannon (at least, not a smokeburning cannon) ....

but I know better than to put any of your body parts in front of or next to and opening of anything that is about to go bang ...

does putting on a kilt make your common sense vanish?

odd - mine doesn't go away when I put on my kilt ... perhaps is that wristwatch ...

just saying...

Maybe they do, and that is the reason no one is allowed to comment on the video?

Speaking of video, Robin, your link is not working.

Aren't you supposed to have a 50 foot no fly zone around. There are a bunch of little kids awfully close, and a tent full of people

These nuts are going to kill somebody! :shake:

Apparently on loading the first load one must be aware that the fairies may have snuck in before dawn and tricked you by loading the cannon before you , this it seems must happen a lot nowdays, of course after the tube has been fired all the safe proceedures must swing into place as we all know , but sake people please remember that embers can smolder away for months and the old guns can and it is documented that when they know an event is coming up they will load themselves with excitement

Good point! Maybe the face in muzzle wasn't outright stupidity, but rather, a check for fairies :rotf:

The face to the muzzle while loading is a definite screw up by an untrained crew member. :doh: But I think the man in front of the loaded gun was just an editing thing. I think the last picture of him standing in front of the gun was actually before the gun was loaded not after. I looked at the video a few times and came to the opinion that the video was edited in such a way as that it makes it appear that he is standing in front after it is loaded. At least I sure hope I am right and there isn't someone doing something that stupid as a regular part of the drill. If that gun is loaded, call the Darwin Award folks quickly while he is still around because his time is quite limited.

I was looking at this video again, and in the clip of the idiot standing in front, there is a women walking across directly behind the gun ( another no no) but in the next cut, you can see the same woman from a different angle. I think whoever filmed it had two cameras. An elaborate setup. If it was me I wouldn't be caught dead broadcasting this *$%^up

Ok you guys are all relating your own way of loading and fireing blanks or live rounds from a m/l cannon your sequence of TOE is based on SAFTEY and the SAFE use of a cannon in a public place or range , when watching a vid you MUST take into account that the vid has probaly been edited by someone else then posted. Have any of you ever been involved in loading and fireing in the HC way for film work do you even know of the effort and safety etc that goes on in the back ground that does not show up in the finished product on film . Nothing looks worse then a pack of doddering wombles fartarseing around then babbling to the public this is how it was , you should take the opertunity to go and watch some pros doe it then work out your TOES on that .

I have served on a cannon crew and was trained in the PROPER way to load and fire said cannon. Believe it or not, there is one right way of doing it. Because of the serious danger inherent in this activity, all who do it at any sanctioned event must follow the prescribed, accepted safe procedure. It doesn't matter if there is a pack of doddering wombles fartarseing with a camera who presume to know everything there is to know about loading and firing a cannon, the procedure is followed exactly by the numbers if any powder or projectile is involved. When you see a video where there are obvious violations of these established rules you are left with the idea that one of two things has happened. Either the crew on the gun does not know what they are doing or the pack of doddering wombles fartarseing with the camera has shot the scenes out of sequence or the pack of doddering wombles fartarseing with the editing has cut the scenes so that they are out of sequence. Or there is a third and equally likely possibiliby and that is that a pack of untrained doddering wombles fartarseing with the gun are not following established procedures for loading and firing a gun. In any case, what we see on this video has the appearance of being an extremely unsafe act.

My TOE to the neither regions of any doddering womble who knows less than nothing about the proper safe procedure for loading and firing of a cannon and yet would presume to instruct those of us who do know the accepted safe procedures and are able to recognize when what we see in a video appears to not be right. It is also blatantly obvious that we are able to recognize the fact that it could all be due to pack of doddering wombles fartarseing with the scenes such that things are out of sequence. :blah:

I don't know what a fartarseing doddering womble is but I don't think I want to be one. If anyone sees me fartarseing or doddering like a womble please stop me before I do whatever it is that they shouldn't be doing.
Thank you very much in advance.

:wink:

I defer to 1601phill to tell us the definition of any of those terms since he originated them. "Fartarseing doddering womble"???:idunno: "TOE"?? :idunno: Me, I just re-used them for effect. :haha:

Well I did write a long winded reply but lost it due to a power outage,most of the guys doing cannons are very unco and slow with their movements and as most of you know there are some strict rules for using cannons this is to try very hard to take the idiot facter out.what Iwas refering to is most of you guys should watch a well trained and practised crew in action and you will notice the difference , back in the day guncrews were very highly trained, on board ships on land , a gun crew had to be very well oiled to work and to live to see the next hour . Pull up some vids on u-tube of professional crews you will never get to that level but you might actually look like a gun crew ,FYI I have in the past worked as GUNNER IN A 12POUNDER BATTERY AND AS the OIC of that same battery .

Back