• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a custom built woodsrunner built by Joe Schell.

1650539409415.png

1650539506085.png

Last edited:
Jim's next offering should be A big ol' Bear Pistol!!!!!!!

All this whining, and it is so misguided!!! heheha
Jim already makes two fine rifles.
All calibers from .32 to .58 been covered!
Smooth Bore and rifled options available.
A fine pistol kit offering seems like the only logical direction to go from here.....

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts. Jim is looking at recreating black powder guns that have little or no representation at the moment. If he thinks the kit will gain a following. A mixture of history, art and business, not necessarily in that order.
Little or no representation in the current market= A sales niche to be filled
KIt will gain a following=Market value per sales volume to keep the price per piece reasonable
History and Art=YUP

Years gone by I had 2 friends that had a boat shop that built beautiful and accurate Adirondack guide boats. When they took into account the amount of hours and materials that went into each boat, well they were making a pittance. I think if you're in it for the art only you're going to be hungry if you are lucky, most likely starving. So yes to Pilgram's comment. It's a balancing act.

I hadn't heard before that Jim would be using brass furniture on the Woodsrunner. Was guessing iron furniture, but it sounds very interesting.
I believe the original was mounted in brass. I understand Mr. Kibler "tweaked" some of the more subtle features, but overall his new rifle is said to be a pretty authentic representation of the original that is now known as the "Woodsrunner Rifle."

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Little or no representation in the current market= A sales niche to be filled
KIt will gain a following=Market value per sales volume to keep the price per piece reasonable
History and Art=YUP

Kibler and Chambers only offer kits from a specific time frame. Their kits are so superior to all of the others that anything they make will be filling a new "niche". If they produced a Hawken, a golden age flint lock, a Leman, an Ohio, or a dozen others I would be a buyer. But since they only do a limited historical timeframe, of a very limited genera of flintlocks, I think they are limiting sales. They are to me for sure. Now, it may be they are unable to keep up as is. That is a very valid point. I do think a Hawken for instance, would sell like hot cakes from Kibler or Chambers. I also think a late long rifle in caplock would sell well. I freely admit that I don't know the business. As a total outsider it looks like they are making what they like, and possibly not what many shooters would prefer.

So would the woodsrunner been a staple in the Mid-Atlantic colonies during 1760 _1780? Also do you think similar riles were used by colonists during Rev war
Yes, similar rifles were used during the Revolutionary War...The WoodsRunner is similar to a rifle made in the Valley of Virginia during that time period...Look at the style of what we call Lancaster Rifles and you will see a difference in the butt stock area...Some rifles during this period had brass patch boxes and some also had set triggers, some had English style locks, some Germanic style locks...But they were "similar"...

Back