• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Woodsrunner kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Had absolutely no intention of ever building another flintlock, because the .45 Kibler Southern Mountain rifle I built a while back is so sweet. But I stumbled into a youtube video this evening about the latest Kibler kit: a 'Woodsrunner' rifle in .45, .50 and .54 caliber. It's a take-off on a well-known original rifle from circa 1760, that's a little lighter and a few inches shorter than the average longrifle of the time.

Yep, I pre-ordered one. I have plenty of willpower, but I'm too strong to be a slave to it. :)

Like a lot of other folks I was surprised by this latest offering, because the general belief was that the next Kibler kit would be an English-style fowler. And yeah - If they do come up with one, I'll probably build it too.

I just placed my order for a WR. I'm really hoping they can deliver by around year's end, but maybe that's too optimistic. I'm having surgery in December, would love to have a project get started on while I recover.

Hi,
Here is a link to a long thread discussing the original rifle in detail with many photos. There is also some discussion about the date of the gun.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=49297Enjoy
dave
Thanks for posting that, Dave. I somehow missed that discussion on ALR.

One thing that puzzled me was this photo of the lock mortice. It seems to clearly show an imprint of the tumbler and bridle. It would seem that this would effect the function of the lock???

wr lock mortice.jpg

I see the bridle, the tumbler isn’t touching. The bridle touching is something to strive for in my opinion. The main spring looks to be rubbing a bit and that can’t help.

Hi,
Here is a link to a long thread discussing the original rifle in detail with many photos. There is also some discussion about the date of the gun.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=49297Enjoy
dave
Thanks for posting the link for this gun. After reading the discussion points I have to agree with those who discussed the imperfections of the rifle being typical of that era and how it adds warmth to it. As they discussed, we see folks being so critical of others' work because it doesn't look like it came off of an assembly line with perfect lines. If someone makes anything and has the guts to post pictures, there are usually a few to offer constructive criticism, and a few others that can be downright mean. We are not all artists or master craftsmen, but our end goal is to have a handsome rifle, pistol, or fowler that we can be proud of and that is also functional. Those imperfections in this particular rifle lend itself to being an absolutely beautiful piece, but if a modern novice turned out one in the same condition he would certainly be severely ridiculed. As a few wise men have mentioned, "just make it your own and the heck with everyone else".

When I pre-ordered my Woodsrunner kit back in July I specified a .45 barrel, to match my Southern Mountain rifle. My thinking was that having two of the same caliber would simplify logistics, and save me a few bucks by using the same smaller balls on the two guns.

This week I asked myself, "what were you thinking?!? Expand your horizons a little, and get different experiences from the two guns. You can afford a little more lead per shot..." Not to mention that black powder .45 is considered borderline for deer in a lot of places, so having the heavier caliber will increase my chances of a legal muzzle loading deer season in some states.

So I sent Katherine a letter, asking if I could change the caliber of my pre-order without getting sent to the back of the line. She assured me I could, and told me she'd update my order. I think I'd be in love, if I didn't know she's already taken.

Back