• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Southern Mountain rifle ordered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Scott

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After months of research on the three different style offerings from Kibler, I finally pulled the trigger on one of his Southern Mountain rifle quick ship kits in cherry. It has a bark inclusion on the stock, but otherwise, it is some fine-looking cherry wood. I ordered the barrel in .40 caliber, so I will have to wait on it for a bit since his .40 barrels are on a waiting list. If anyone has a recommendation on the size mold that would work best, please let me know. Part of the research I was doing was on my own family heritage since I was wanting a rifle that would have been close to what some of my ancestors may have used. After a lot of digging, I discovered the majority of my ancestors first arrived in Virginia and then migrated to Western NC, and then to Southwestern VA and KY where they settled. In actuality, any of the Kibler models would have been appropriate, but the iron-mounted Southern Mountain rifle just kind of tickled my fancy more than the others since its plain styling seemed to fit the family trees on both sides according to everything I read. It seems most in my family were not what anyone would consider very prominent with only one exception. Being hard-working folks who hacked out a meager existence by farming their plot of land with a few of them traveling between NC and VA bringing goods back and forth to trade. I also discovered several of them who served during the Revolutionary war, civil war, Korean Conflict, and World World 1, and 2. Having served myself, I suppose I identified with these folks more than some of the others. Scott

Those are Beautiful rifles! You made a great choice!

I'm sure other .40 users can give you the best size. But I'd think something like a .390 RB would be a good place to start.
Thank you. What would you suggest? Maybe buying some different size round balls and seeing what it likes before ordering a mold?

Last edited:
Thank you. What would you suggest? Maybe buying some different size round balls and seeing what it likes before ordering a mold?
I think a .390 ball & a .010 patch would be a good place to start. Since I don't have one I can't speak from experience. Certainly someone here has a .40 SMR and can share what they use. But if the bore is a true .40, which it should be, I'd think you could use a ball/patch combination of the .390/.010, .385/.015, or even a .380/.020 but your bound to get first hand experience from others.

I think a .390 ball & a .010 patch would be a good place to start. Since I don't have one I can't speak from experience. Certainly someone here has a .40 SMR and can share what they use. But if the bore is a true .40, which it should be, I'd think you could use a ball/patch combination of the .390/.010, .385/.015, or even a .380/.020 but your bound to get first hand experience from others.
I think you are right. I was trying to get ahead and order a mold and start casting while I was waiting on the kit. I've searched the older post and on some other groups and from what I am finding that it is all over the board. Several even mention a .400 ball gives the best accuracy, but most use a .390 or .395 for hunting. I suppose the best thing to do is wait on the rifle and mike the lands first.

I have a dbl cavity Lee .390" and a Lyman .40" dbl cavity mold. The .390/.389" allowed a .023" canvas patch and was accurate to a fault. For a larger ball such as a .40" a bit thinner patch has to be used.
This is the information I was looking for. I can locate the .390 and .395 molds, but I am having a tough time finding a .400 mold. Lee doesn't list one. It sounds like a good starting point maybe a .390 or a .395 mold and play around with patch thickness to try and find a good combo.

I'd get the lee 390 & 395 right up front and play with those for starters. I'll eventually order a SMR in 40 so I'm following closely.

My .36 Kibler in maple shipped today. I already have a .45 and I use .445 Lee balls in it. I cast some .350's this weekend. Like you, I like to be ready - in fact I got all my jags, etc. from Track of the Wolf last week.

Only thing bothers me is that with .350 balls I might have to use something about as thick as shag carpet for my patching, lol!

I'd get the lee 390 & 395 right up front and play with those for starters. I'll eventually order a SMR in 40 so I'm following closely.
That's probably what I will do. I got a deep discount on the one I ordered because of the stock flaw, but from the pictures, it didn't look too bad to me. One might even say it adds a bit of character to the stock and I have been looking for one in cherry, so it was a win-win for me. I should also say that they add quick to sell stocks every week if you chose to follow their web-site.

My .36 Kibler in maple shipped today. I already have a .45 and I use .445 Lee balls in it. I cast some .350's this weekend. Like you, I like to be ready - in fact I got all my jags, etc. from Track of the Wolf last week.

Only thing bothers me is that with .350 balls I might have to use something about as thick as shag carpet for my patching, lol!
Yep. I usually buy all my ML stuff from TOW if they have what I'm looking for. Let us know how it shoots when you get it ready.

I use a .400 ball in an older GR Douglas barrel that is very accurate with pillow ticking when target shooting. Loading in the field I switch to a .010 patch for easier starting. I may still have a .405 RB mold that I played with many years ago but the accuracy wasn’t any better than the .400 and it was harder to start.

Having just been through this, before I spent the money on molds, I'd buy a box of Hornady .395 balls. My .40 Rice barrel likes a .395 ball and a .022" patch. I tried .390", .395" and .400" balls in mine. It shoots .400 balls with a thinner patch too, but I couldn't find a .400" mold. I bought two Lee .395" molds, one two ball cavities and the other a seven ball cavities.

This and a $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee in some places.

Having just been through this, before I spent the money on molds, I'd buy a box of Hornady .395 balls. My .40 Rice barrel likes a .395 ball and a .022" patch. I tried .390", .395" and .400" balls in mine. It shoots .400 balls with a thinner patch too, but I couldn't find a .400" mold. I bought two Lee .395" molds, one two ball cavities and the other a seven ball cavities.

This and a $1.75 will buy you a cup of coffee in some places.
Thanks for the reply. I am having a tough time locating a .400 mold myself. I did order the .390 and .395 molds so I will work a load up from there and keep my eye out for a .400 mold. Maybe someone will have one for sale sometime in the future.

I use a .400 ball in an older GR Douglas barrel that is very accurate with pillow ticking when target shooting. Loading in the field I switch to a .010 patch for easier starting. I may still have a .405 RB mold that I played with many years ago but the accuracy wasn’t any better than the .400 and it was harder to start.
Thank you. What brand of mold did you find in the .400? It seems all I can locate in the Lee molds and they don't make one for a .400?

After months of research on the three different style offerings from Kibler, I finally pulled the trigger on one of his Southern Mountain rifle quick ship kits in cherry. It has a bark inclusion on the stock, but otherwise, it is some fine-looking cherry wood. I ordered the barrel in .40 caliber, so I will have to wait on it for a bit since his .40 barrels are on a waiting list. If anyone has a recommendation on the size mold that would work best, please let me know. Part of the research I was doing was on my own family heritage since I was wanting a rifle that would have been close to what some of my ancestors may have used. After a lot of digging, I discovered the majority of my ancestors first arrived in Virginia and then migrated to Western NC, and then to Southwestern VA and KY where they settled. In actuality, any of the Kibler models would have been appropriate, but the iron-mounted Southern Mountain rifle just kind of tickled my fancy more than the others since its plain styling seemed to fit the family trees on both sides according to everything I read. It seems most in my family were not what anyone would consider very prominent with only one exception. Being hard-working folks who hacked out a meager existence by farming their plot of land with a few of them traveling between NC and VA bringing goods back and forth to trade. I also discovered several of them who served during the Revolutionary war, civil war, Korean Conflict, and World World 1, and 2. Having served myself, I suppose I identified with these folks more than some of the others. Scott
You made a great choice his kits are the best around with the best quality components bar none I own 3 of them

I built a Kibler smr about a year ago, with a curly maple stock. The rifle is in .40 caliber and it is my favorite rifle. I shoot a 490 round ball out ot it and it will fetch dinner. Good choice.

I built a Kibler smr about a year ago, with a curly maple stock. The rifle is in .40 caliber and it is my favorite rifle. I shoot a 490 round ball out ot it and it will fetch dinner. Good choi

I built a Kibler smr about a year ago, with a curly maple stock. The rifle is in .40 caliber and it is my favorite rifle. I shoot a 490 round ball out ot it and it will fetch dinner. Good choice.
Thanks. I have several 50 cals, a 45 and a 32 so I wanted to mix it p a bit, plus I really like the SMR iron mountings and wanted to get a flinter as close to what I thought one of my ancestors may have carried.

Back