• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am absolutely in love with my Kibler SMR .40 Cal. Flintlock.đź’—

Attachments

• ECD0FF93-349A-40F2-A2C4-02E91EAB4697.jpeg
    ECD0FF93-349A-40F2-A2C4-02E91EAB4697.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
After 39 year of being a commercial aircraft mechanic I have but a few short months until I retire. I'm thinking my retirement gift to myself would be a Kibler SMR. I have seen the way cool fancy maple and while they certainly are beautiful, I'm thinking the SMR was a working man's gun. More utilitarian the a fancy show piece, and I'm that kind of guy. So her in lies the question. What wood would (that's a mouth full);) have been used for the working man's gun back in the day?
Icemann,
If you are looking to build a rifle that you are going to hunt or target shoot with, you can't go wrong with the standard grade maple on the SMR. Like you, I like to take my firearms out and shoot them. At 72, I still like to hunt so my muzzle loaders get used. When I finish my SMR it will already looked used. I have accidently put some small dents and scratches on the stock and will not try to fix them. It is going to be used target practicing first then go on a squirrel hunt therefore I will put scratches and dents anyway. The wood on it is nice but it will not have a shiny finish. Using Tried and True Varnish oil gives it more of a satin finish. I don't like shiny. Good luck. I just got off the phone with Jim Kibler. I had a question about fitting the ramrod and he was kind enough to take the call. Great guy and company. I thanked him for the support he gives to his customers.

Back