• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR length issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Abbey. I bought a Kibler SMR kit about 2 years ago. .45 cal walnut stock. The kit is superb. Jim and his team are great people. I started it right away but put it aside without metal and wood finish. I’m about to start it again. I realize why I never finished it. The length has always been an issue for me. I like shorter barrels. This 46” barrel length is legitimately keeping me from seeing this as a rifle I want to grow old(er) with. Something @hanshi said in a different thread about barrel shortening struck home for me. Paraphrasing, he said “do what you must to bond with the rifle.” I agree. Do I shorten it by 6, 8 or even 10” or do I move it along to someone else and get what I really want? If I do shorten it, do I relocate the front ramrod thimble or try it as is and see if it looks ok? Thanks in advance.

Signed,

Conflicted.
I built a TOTW SMR two years ago and went with a straight Oct .45 cal Green Mtn, barrel at 36 inches. and 13/16s diameter. Looks, shoots and feels great in the hand. As we get older we weaken in arm and eye strength and tend to change focal length so the rear sight keeps having to be moved forward so we might as well build a rifle around those realities from the get go.
I'd finish it and let her go down the road to a young person then build what will suit you!
The trouble with cutting down a longer barrel gun is usually they are either swamped or larger across flats than what a shorter gun would look ballanced with. Then too moving the thimbles and sights are troublesome as well and it will always look like a cut down rifle to the trained eye.

Try it, you may change your mind?kibler smr in 45 with the "new barrels 44" are bad a__z accurite!
The rear site is very forward.
I dont think the 46 is going to be less accurite.And im old and blind too!

My Kibler SMR is light and easy to handle. The long thin barrel shouldn't be a weight issue for anyone. It's probably more a matter of getting used to loading it and keeping it from bumping into things all the time. It's definitely not what I'd call a truck gun though. It's hard to find a place for it. I don't have any plans to sell it though since it's so nice to shoot.

My SMR in 40 cal weights 7 pounds even. It has perfect balance and to shorten the barrel would ruin that.

when i was young, in my 20s, i wanted everything long, pistols, rifles, everything. then when i got older i disliked long barrels. i found you tote one more than you shoot one while hunting. but then after a while longer barreled rifles in muzzleloaders grew on me. 42 in. is about my limit though, 44in. would be a real pain to carry in a small truck if not imposable! and in the thick woods of SC where i am would be aggravating! that is one reason i have had 2 Jaegers. they are short and handy, and a joy to point and hunt with, but i would finish the gun or sell it as is.

I have one that is 46" and two that are 44". I am 5'10" tall. The longer one is awkward to load. When loaded with the barrel vertical it is a bit to high for me. I could load it with the barrel at and angle to the ground of course. Except I can not at my club shoots, they make you use a bench to load. At another range I use the floor is concrete. Loading at an angle is not practical. I use tighter combinations that are not conducive to poorly supporting the rifle anyway. The 44" barrel version is much better for me in that respect. The length is not awkward for loading. Given a choice I would have ordered a 40" or 42" barrel.

I have one that is 46" and two that are 44". I am 5'10" tall. The longer one is awkward to load. When loaded with the barrel vertical it is a bit to high for me. I could load it with the barrel at and angle to the ground of course. Except I can not at my club shoots, they make you use a bench to load. At another range I use the floor is concrete. Loading at an angle is not practical. I use tighter combinations that are not conducive to poorly supporting the rifle anyway. The 44" barrel version is much better for me in that respect. The length is not awkward for loading. Given a choice I would have ordered a 40" or 42" barrel.

Completely agree with you for the exact reasons stated. We just put a roof on our firing line and it’s doable but tight.

Back