• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR is Here! (Build Log)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
34hrs build time:
Proceeding on past yesterday's screw up for the time being, last night I tackled the task of finishing the barrel and a few other odds and ends. I started by shoving a foam ear plug in the muzzle and breaking off a toothpick in the flash hole, after which I gave it a scrub down with hot soapy water followed by drying and a final wipe down with alcohol. I was careful to only handle the barrel with gloves after the soap and water bath. I placed the muzzle end in a large plastic dish and suspended the barrel vertically using a piece of .040 stainless wire looped through the tang. A healthy coat of Jax black was applied using a sponge and I allowed it to remain on the barrel for 3 minutes before dousing the barrel with several gallons of water to end the reaction. After drying the barrel was rubbed back with 0000 steel wool to produce the result shown below. After rubbing it back I again cleaned with alcohol and applied liberal amounts of barricade before setting the barrel aside. I have never had this good of luck using any other cold bluing products so I am a firm believer in Jax black and will use it again on future projects!

View attachment 193493

With the barrel finished I took care of a few other small tasks. I installed and pinned the ramrod end along with filing down the screw heads to fit the counter bores in the butt plate and barrel tang. I also slotted the barrel pin holes in the lugs and final trimmed the pins to the correct length.

All that remains this evening is for me to Jax black the ramrod pipes, install the sights, and put all the little pieces together!

Chris
That came out nice. I do believe I will give that product a try. I just spent several hours with a couple other products on a barrel and I'm still not happy with how it came out.

3 hours tonight, 37hrs total build time. The remaining small tasks have been completed and the SMR has been assembled. I will get some better pictures tomorrow when I take her out for her first range day.

My first 2 observations from shouldering the complete rifle:
1. The balance and feel is really nice!
2. The front sight is tiny and a long ways away! I had to turn the back of it black as I couldn't see the shiny brass blade.

It's been alot of fun putting her together even though I will have to refinish the stock. Better pictures and a full range report to come.

Chris

20230127_201043.jpg
20230127_201025.jpg
20230127_200920.jpg
20230127_200857.jpg

Just updating this thread, I have about 6hrs invested in stock rework so far. I wet sanded the finish coats back using 320 grit and alcohol, being careful not to over do it and lighten the stain too much but also trying to highlight the curl better this time around. After sanding I gave the stock a good rubbing with 0000 steel wool and a final wipe down with alcohol. Tonight I rubbed in a very light coat of tru-oil and I am much happier with the outcome, now if I can avoid knocking it in the floor again.

Chris
20230130_180604.jpg
20230130_174251.jpg

I have the same kit and was wondering if I should blue the ramrod pipes or leave them shiny silver, what’s everyones opinion on silver pipes. Also, I screwed up the rear sight dovetail and now I have a longer rear sight from TOW on order so, yeah, Mr Murphy gets around !!

I have the same kit and was wondering if I should blue the ramrod pipes or leave them shiny silver, what’s everyones opinion on silver pipes. Also, I screwed up the rear sight dovetail and now I have a longer rear sight from TOW on order so, yeah, Mr Murphy gets around !!

I used Jax black on my ramrod pipes and am happy with the result.

One word of caution, make sure the entry pipe is fully inlet and aligns with the hole in the stock before drilling for the pin!

I have since burnished the glossy glossiness from my true oil finish, I will try and get some new pics this weekend.

Chris

I used Jax black on my ramrod pipes and am happy with the result.

One word of caution, make sure the entry pipe is fully inlet and aligns with the hole in the stock before drilling for the pin!

I have since burnished the glossy glossiness from my true oil finish, I will try and get some new pics this weekend.

Chris
I noticed on mine the butt plate extends about 1/4 inch beyond the end of the toe. Is that on purpose? Do you leave it that way or file it even with the wood?

I noticed on mine the butt plate extends about 1/4 inch beyond the end of the toe. Is that on purpose? Do you leave it that way or file it even with the wood?

Mine is the same, I left it the way it is because i feel that it adds a bit more protection to the toe of the stock, plus if I ever want to add a toe plate later i'll have a bit of extra material there when I go to fit everything up.

Chris

Back