• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR is Here! (Build Log)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the day, I arrived home from work to find my SMR waiting on me! What a well packaged kit! The shaping and finish work on the stock is quite impressive to say the least! Following the advice of others after unboxing I temporarily installed the butt plate to protect the stock, I also did a quick test fit of the barrel, lock, triggers and trigger guard. It looks like minimal material removal will be required everywhere except the trigger guard where the inlet is about 1/8" short in the rear. The butt plate also extends about 3/16" below the bottom of the stock so will need some trimming.

I will keep this thread updated as my build progresses, for now here are a few unboxing pics! Thank heavens for the wide angle lens on my phone, this thing is long!

Oh, and any tips for straightening the ramrod?

Chris

20230117_164020.jpg
20230117_164624.jpg
20230117_171336.jpg

Chris - I would just slide the ramrod into the stock and leave it there. After awhile it might take a set and be less crooked. You’re probably going to have to shave it down to fit the ramrod hole and that could also take some of the bend out.

Total time investment so far: 4hrs

The butt plate, lock, triggers, trigger guard, and barrel have all had their respective inlets cleaned up and fit to the stock. I still need to do the final trim on the bottom of the butt plate and file off 2 rather large areas of mold flashing.

The lock inlet took a little bit of work to get cleaned up, requiring enlarging of the perimeter at the front and rear as well as needing additional clearance for the mainspring and sear. The triggers dropped right in after the corners were squared up and the trigger guard required removal of about 1/8" of wood at the rear of the rear inlet. Tomorrow I will drill for the trigger guard, barrel, and ramrod pipe pins then disassemble and begins the work of sanding the stock and doing the final dressing and clean up the metal parts.

After getting everything together I couldn't resist sparking the lock, compared to the pedersoli locks I'm used to this Kibler lock is impressive! It throws more sparks than a trailer dragging its safety chains down the highway at night!

Chris

kmc_20230117_220559.jpg

20230117_212805.jpg
20230117_212754.jpg
20230117_212723.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, you are a little faster than me....haha. I've had my kit for a year now and just about to start finishing the stock.

For sanding the ram rod to fit the channel, I had the boy chuck it up in the drill while I held sand paper....made quick work of it.

That kit looks like it's all but ready for finish then range time. What all needs to be done on one of those beyond the minor fit items you mentioned?

Just that, final fitting and trimming of all of the inlets, drilling the underlugs and ramrod pipes for pins, sanding the stock, then applying your desired finish to the stock and metal work. I honestly anticipate having this kit range ready in a week, spending a few hours on it every evening.

Chris

8 hours into the build:
Tonight I had to do a tad more inleting work in the lock mortise to clear the bridle with the lock screw tight. After that I did a final trim on the trigger guard inlet and using the included drill guide, drilled the pin holes through the trigger guard. Jim's system of pre piloting the pin holes makes that operation a breeze and in the next few minutes I had the barrel lugs drilled and pins installed.
The rearmost pair of ramrod thimbles installed just as easily however the foward thimble required a good bit of filing down the height of the lug to keep it from hitting the barrel.

Tomorrow I will disassemble everything and begin preparing the stock for finishing. If I can have her ready for aqua fortis this weekend I'll be a happy man for sure.

Chris

20230118_210242.jpg
20230118_210259.jpg
20230118_210433.jpg

5 more hours tonight to bring the total to 13.

I started off by fixing a problem I caused yesterday. The rear ramrod thimble, while seated in the was a good 1/8" above the entry hole, I didn't catch this before I drilled yesterday unfortunately. I removed the thimble. Inlet the ramrod channel deeper, welded my misdrilled hole shut and redrilled. Problem solved! Next I shaved down the ramrod using a cordless drill and sand paper, took a lot of doing but after about a dozen shave and test cycles she slides right in.

Next I hit the stock with 80 grit until the butt plate sat flush with the wood on both sides then disassembled everything being careful to not the position and orientation of the ramrod thimbles. Once broken back down to individual components I Wet the stock to raise the grain and sanded smooth with 180 and 320. Tomorrow I will do a final wet and sand before applying the aqua fortis.

I've never messed with aqua fortis before but I have watched Jim's videos on the subject. I plan on applying 2 coats, allowing an hour or 2 dry time In between and blushing out with heat after the 2nd coat is dry. Any concerns about only blushing once at the end vs between coats?

Chris

Thanks Hanshi,

I must like working in 4 hour blocks, 17hrs into the build: Tonight I whiskered and sanded the stock with 320 a final time and applied a coat of iron nitrate, waited 30 minutes and applied a second coat, waited an hour and hit it with the heat gun. I was a bit worried at first but it proved to be a non event. it sure was enjoyable holding my tongue and the heat gun just right and Watching the color change.

Right now I am on the fence about putting a 3rd coat of iron nitrate on, what do you guys think?

20230120_211327.jpg
20230120_211849.jpg
20230120_215000.jpg
20230120_215010.jpg

plain maple looks good with AF !

That it does!
I put the first coat of permalyn sealer on this morning and the stock soaked it up like a dry sponge, I let it dry all day and apied the second coat a few minutes ago which it also soaked up like a dry sponge in most areas. I'll go for a 3rd coat tomorrow, if it takes more than 3 or 4 though I may need another can of sealer!

Chris

Back