Kibler SMR in cherry

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
I plan to get one of his SMRs in cherry soon. I will let mine naturally sun age with only an oil coating as IMO cherry ages into a beautiful red color all by itself over a short time and staining it is kind of a shame. Yours looks good though.

kh0456

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Really well done! I’m thinking of adding one of his colonial rifles in cherry to my stash. Everything else I have is maple. Yours just pushed me over the edge.
I saw someone else had asked about finishing but didn’t see a response. I’d like to know what you used as well.
thanks for the post!

RB POWELL

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

KenM

32 Cal
Reaction score
Since I really don't have 200 years for my SMR to develop a natural patina, something had to be done. The cherry bed in my old pickup still looked like a carrot after 3 years, so it was the guinea pig.
The cherry gun stock is aged with easy off oven cleaner for 9 minutes at 60*, then wiped off. If you rinse with water the cherry will turn black, so don't do that unless you want a black gun. After that, the rifle was finished with Danish Oil, Natural. This soaks into the wood and strengthens it.
The old pickup bed that still looked like a carrot turned out pretty good too.

Attachments

YJake

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for Kibler to release his smoothbore trade gun but a southern mountain rifle is starting to tickle my fancy, especially one in cherry.

I’ve heard a lye and water mixture can be used to bring out the red in the wood in combination with sunlight. I sealed a cherry powder horn base plug with permalyn and let it sun bake for a few days and it turned a nice orange.

-Jake

Reactions: RSD

McClura

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What are the specs on this fine rifle? Very Nice! Length, diameter of barrel, lock brand. That is sweet.

Mike

KenM

32 Cal
Reaction score
What are the specs on this fine rifle? Very Nice! Length, diameter of barrel, lock brand. That is sweet.

Mike
This is a Kibler rifle. 46" swamped barrel gives it the perfect balance. lock made by kibler, 61" overall length. Everything only required minor fitting and finishing. This worked well for me since I'm not a "wood guy", but a metal guy who usually wrenches and does bodywork on old vehicles. Check their web site.

Latest posts