• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR frizzen broke in two

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here's the story. Hopefully, this will clear some things up. Frizzens, cocks and top jaws are castings that we then cnc machine on critical areas to fit with the remaining cnc machined parts of the lock. Castings sometimes have defects. In the example shown, the black dot is undoubtably acted as stress intensifier and location for crack growth to occur. When it reached a critical size, the frizzen broke.

We make thousands of locks a year. Occasionally things happen. We have had a handful of frizzens brake. This is a VERY low percentage of our total production, but we are aware of the issue and are working on it.

We brine quench our frizzens rather than oil quench. No water quenching is done. We choose to brine quench to maximize as quenched hardness. This particular lock is by far the best quality, fastest and most consistent lock that can be purchased today. In fact, timing has shown that this lock is knocking on the door of what was accomplished by the very best late english makers. We push it's performace to the limit which. With this, the occasional problem can occur.

JC Kelly,

Perhaps you have forgotten that I am a degreed metallurgical engineer as well. The difference between myself and you is that I don't choose to remind everybody of this fact.

We have everything under control.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. This year has proven to be beyond what any of us would have guessed here at Kibler's Longrifles. A lot of exciting stuff is in the works as well!

All the best,
Jim
And for the reasons noted here is why I have purchased one finished SMR, one Colonial, and four SMR Kits over the course of the last year. Looking forward to the next new items

So how long do you think a frizzen will last for or how many shots can one expect .
How high can you count? I have personally never heard of one 'wearing out', although a number have needed to have the case hardening refreshed, but only after many thousands of firings. Chances are , your grand-kids may not have to worry about it.

I started this thread. I received the replacement frizzen at no cost to me. As stated in an earlier post. I have since bought a complete lock from Mr. Kibler for a future build. I’ll order from him again I’m sure. Since replacing the frizzen, I figure I’ve shot about 100 balls through it. No problems. I changed the flint once.

Jon

I started this thread. I received the replacement frizzen at no cost to me. As stated in an earlier post. I have since bought a complete lock from Mr. Kibler for a future build. I’ll order from him again I’m sure. Since replacing the frizzen, I figure I’ve shot about 100 balls through it. No problems. I changed the flint once.

Jon
Sounds great! I too have purchased a spare complete lock; same intentions plus I’ll admit I like looking at it along with my spare parts collection. If I get tired of them I doubt I’ll lose money on any of them.

Latest posts

Back