• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR first shots, WOW!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my .45, cherry stocked SMR to the range today for the first shots, boy, what a great gun. Super fast ignition, no clatches in 30-40 shots, very easy to load . I did need to drift my rear sight a bit, and I did file down the front sight a bit, easy to do. I was shooting a .440 round ball, .012 wonder lubed patch and 45gr FFG. Nice load, little recoil and accurate.
All shots were off the bench. After sighting in at 25, I shot my last 5 shots at 50yds. I used a big black NMLRA 100yard target, and I could not center the front blade very well, first two went low. I then took a 4”x4” piece of white cardboard and stapled that over the black target.
Big difference, next three shots went right in the cardboard! Super gun.
Anyone who is considering one of Kibler SMR should just do it, you won’t be sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
That's a fine looking rifle and I bet it can put 5 shots into one big hole. As you get to know it and make friends with it the accuracy will astonish you; and that's not bad shooting already.

Shot it again yesterday, this gun is amazing. I shoot about 50-60 more shots , tried two different patch thickness. .012 and .018, both wonderlubed . There seemed to be no diffence in accuracy, so at least for the time being I will stay with a .440 round ball and the .012 patch, much easier to load. Maybe as the barrel breaks in it will prefer the thicker patch.
The target was at 50 yards from the bench with the forend resting in my hand and no rear bag. There are 5 shots there in about 2”. It will only get better.
Also of note I have been using just one flint for at least 100 shots, no clatches, and only one flash in the pan, and I’m pretty sure I forgot to pick the flash hole. I never even had to knap a new edge on the flint, although looking at it now it might need some work. Great flintlock!
I have two other flintlocks, both Pedersoli, and I love them dearly, but they do not spark like this one does, not even close. I do use thin lead strips for a flint cushion, maybe that has some effect on the flint life, or I just got lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2292.jpeg
    IMG_2292.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2288.jpeg
    IMG_2288.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg