• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR finished, mostly!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished my .45 cherry Kibler SMR. This is my first build ever, and it went pretty good, just needed to watch all of Jim’s videos first.
It will never win any prizes or be shown in the CLA, but I am happy as a clam, and can’t wait to shoot it tomorrow. Great strong lock, and it sparks great. I did have a problem installing the entry pipe, and after many attempts, I decided to leave it off, and try again later. The problem is the ramrod fits great in the gun, after much sanding, but binds up solid when the entry pipe is installed. I will attempt again when I have more patience, now it’s time to shoot it!
Love the cherry stock, decided to not stain or use lye. I will let it naturally age in the sun. It’s a hunting gun, weighs 6lb 2oz empty.

Attachments

• IMG_2248.jpeg
    IMG_2248.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Not sure if it shows in these pictures, but I put the finished gunstock out in the direct sunlight for a few days, turned if occasionally. The cherry color is much darker and richer. It will only get better. Another hundred shots this past week. Great consistency from the bench, shooting out to 75yards now. Offhand is my “bugaboo”, and with lots of dry firing and more practice, I might get better. At least that’s the plan!

What did you use on the barrel/lock,etc.? I also have a cherry SMR in .45 to complete as opportunity presents.

Might want to at least apply some pastewax especially if you will have it out in the weather. That nice cherry desrves some protection.

What did you use on the barrel/lock,etc.? I also have a cherry SMR in .45 to complete as opportunity presents.
I used Brownells, Oxpho-Blue. I have used it for years on various guns, seems to work very well. Takes a few coats to get it dark enough, but it is a thick cream and goes on with a cotton ball, and does not drip off like a liquid. I had it in stock, so I tried it. It worked great.
I ‘m sure other products like Ajax-Black would work as well. I think surface preparation and cleaning make all the difference in the results with any blueing product.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Might want to at least apply some pastewax especially if you will have it out in the weather. That nice cherry desrves some protection.
Does not show in the pictures, but this cherry stock has many coats of BLO. I am looking for a good paste wax for protection, but all the products I have looked at say interior use only! I am open to suggestions.

The color change after one day in the sun is impressive.

Many people recommend Renaissance Wax.
It was actually about three days in the sun, turning once in a while. It’s been pretty dry and sunny here in New England this Spring, which is very unusual. I am already hearing talk about a drought! Kind of early for that speculation I think.
Has been wonderful for getting to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
Bob, I figured there was something on there and my first thought was BLO.
I just use plain old MinWax finishing paste wax. Rub it on with your finger then buff by hand with a clean cotton cloth or (clean) old sock. Good renewable protection. I build a few guns and a lot of furniture, but my MinWax can is likely going to outlast me.
Good work on yours. Looks great.

It was actually about three days in the sun, turning once in a while. It’s been pretty dry and sunny here in New England this Spring, which is very unusual. I am already hearing talk about a drought! Kind of early for that speculation I think.
Has been wonderful for getting to the range.
I'll blame this post for the next several days of rain. 😁

Back