• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR build tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toneloc

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a Kibler SMR in .45 yesterday. The wait begins.

This will be my first muzzy I've put together, though I've been a wood worker, professional tinkerer, and hack gunsmith my whole life.

Thought I'd check for lessons learned. Anything you wish that you knew or would have did differently on your Kibler SMR build?

The kit itself is easy to do. As stated above be careful it’s a thin stock, the lollipop tang is long and easy to bend too If not removing the barrel carefully. But honestly with proper care and removing how they show in the videos you will not have an issue. I’ve built a SMR in every caliber by Kibler but 32 cal.

Thanks guys, I have watched all the build videos from Kibler and a few others that are out on youtube from other folks.

Good to know about being extra careful on barrel removal.

I've never done any stock finishing like this before, so that is probably my biggest unknown. I do like the darker look when doing the tannic acid in addition to the iron nitrate, so that was my plan there.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-colonial-assembly-timeline.136570/I realize this is a different gun of Jim’s, but it’s a piece of cake when it comes to ‘gun building’. Jim makes a quality product set up for dummies like us. Lots of guys on this forum have put together his SMR. Take your time, watch his videos and you’ll be just fine. I think I had mine put together in a week’s time (iirc). What style of stock did you go with?

I just went with the plain maple, no upgrade. Being a finishing Newb didn't want to waste extra bucks on fancy wood if it didn't come out great on my first time. Take some of the pressure off.
I think you’ll find his ‘plain maple’ will have some figure. Good luck! Remember, you must post photos or you have to forfeit your gun to a forum member!

I'm in the building process with a Kibler SMR and I would suggest making sure you square up the thimble inlets as close to perfect as you can get them and when you drill the thimble holes, take your time and make sure the thimbles are fully seated in the inlets or you will have loose thimbles once the pins are installed. I had trouble out of them but finally got a good snug fit. Also, go easy on wood removal, check, double check and them check again. Jims kits are designed to have minimal wood removal, but some is needed.

Ethan Yazel "I Love Muzzleloading" has a video about taking a file to the forend and smoothing it up. Only takes about 15 minutes and really slicks that end of the stock up. I was really scared of the delicate feel of the stock on my first one but they are fairly tough.

The other tip I have is to be careful with your pins. Do your drill work from the same side that Jim does in his videos. Also slightly chamfer the edges but don't round them too much. On my first one I went in from the lock side and rounded the pins too much ..... and my little punch slipped while pushing them out. Now the pin holes look ugly. The rifle draws your eye but the builder always knows every flaw, lol!

Back