• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR Build-Part 1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ498

32 Cal
Reaction score
Part 1 of my efforts to build a Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle.

The anticipation was killing me. I was originally told that the delivery would take 2 to 3 months. After six weeks I was given the offer of a quick delivery if I would change from 45 caliber to 40 caliber. I jumped at the chance and had a delivery confirmation within two days.

THE BAD: Four days later, I received a wooden crate with my name on it. This was better than Christmas. It even had a big label with FRAGELEE so it must have been made in Italy in the style of the Christmas Story lamp. I carefully opened the package and found that my beautiful, extra fancy, maple stock was broken in half. The heathens from UPS had literally broken the box in half. They repaired their damage by using packing tape to hold the box together. Half of the stock was missing from the package.

THE FABULOUS: I immediately called Katherine from Kibler's Long Rifles. She was far more upset about the damage than I was. She told me that they had been having trouble with UPS damaging their packages even though they were shipped in strong plywood crates. My guess is that UPS will not get any more business from them. Katherine promised to get a new stock out to me within 24 hours. Kibler's could not have been more responsible and caring. They are the best.

I anticipate getting a start on the project within the next week. In the meantime, I will be content just fondling the beautiful lock works and barrel.
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
7.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
Okey-doke you know
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

7.jpg

Cheap plywood was used. 1/2" or 5/8" CDX would have been as inexpensive but way way stronger for a box. Also needed 1/2" for the top and bottom. Not the 1/8 inch flimsy stuff in the pics.
Adding an plywood rib 1x3 on both sides would have helped prevent snapping a box in half. Sure, it would raise the shipping cost due to added weight, but replacement stocks aren't cheap either.
I like the way they padded the butt profile. That works.
Sorry for your setback.

Those boxes are pretty sturdy and the parts are packed pretty well. It took some effort to break that box. Did they bend the barrel Russ?

Those boxes are pretty sturdy and the parts are packed pretty well. It took some effort to break that box. Did they bend the barrel Russ?

The barrel appears to be ok. I won't know for certain until I can match it to the wood. The barrel is swamped so you can't just check with a straight edge.

That’s a mess! I hope the barrel is not bent at all. I read that you can check a swamped barrel for straightness via the bore. One way involved the need to remove the breech plug and run a line inside... anyway, I feel bad for you but bet that you will be taken good care of by Jim and Katherine.

That should of never happened! That box was hit hard . . . very hard! Plywood is pretty tough/resilient. The material used for shipping was more than enough protection for the contents. I mean, I've received three gunstocks and a couple of barrels from Pecatonica packed in stiff cardboard boxes with packing peanuts and never an issue. This was just pure carelessness!

Cheap plywood was used. 1/2" or 5/8" CDX would have been as inexpensive but way way stronger for a box. Also needed 1/2" for the top and bottom. Not the 1/8 inch flimsy stuff in the pics.
Adding an plywood rib 1x3 on both sides would have helped prevent snapping a box in half. Sure, it would raise the shipping cost due to added weight, but replacement stocks aren't cheap either.
Sorry for your setback.
Well, actually after counting the plys in that plywood it is at the very least 1/2" plywood. But I'm thinking 5/8". More than enough strength there even with the top & bottom being 1/4". I would have been livid! Nothing cheap about the materials. UPS either dropped something heavy on it or hit it hard with something.

Wow that would take a lot to break Kibler's shipping box. Sorry that happened but you'll be back in business soon. In the mean time you have plenty metal filing you can work on while you wait and you now have a practice stock for testing out your finishes.

The box broke where they pieced the paneling bottom together. Kibler doesn't use a whole piece of wood on the bottoms of the boxes. Also the bottoms are glued and stapled, but the joint isn't reinforced. The box tops are screwed. Still it would be hard to break a plywood 1x4 with the lid on tight.. Probably broke getting wedged in a corner on the UPS sorting belts.
I received a reused Kibler box that had the short piece on the bottom(glue and staples) come loose. This was a $3200 rifle. Bit of a scare when I picked it up at the PO. I could see the rifle in the box, fortunately, nothing was hurt. Can't blame Kibler since the box was reused by someone else.

I had the end smashed in on a Kibler SMR box by the Post Office. I thought oh no, but everything was fine. The box broke around the fore end of the stock and didn't do any damage to the stock. That is one strong piece of walnut used for that stock.

Kibler has the best packaging in the industry. Destroying the crate almost had to be deliberate. UPS has no excuse.

Sorry for your setback.

Or........

UPS could handle stuff with even a hint of care.

And, have you priced CDX lately!?!? Ain’t nothing cheap about it!

I think I’d be raising holy h e double hockey sticks with UPS!

UPS has really started to circle the bowl in my opinion.

Right there with USPS.

Three of the last five packages I’ve had delivered by them have been delivered to the wrong address. Luckily I live in a small rural town where everybody knows everybody.

Just no excuse.

And calling and complaining is about as fruitful as talking with your congressman.

That sucks hope all the other stuff is alright that must be a good ram rod blank tho.
I worked for ups we had a driver get fired because she was caught deliberately doing as much damage as possible to firearm boxes, I talked to a few old guys close to retirement and they said it's pretty common for the anti gun workers to do this.

Yeah, they worked pretty hard to bust that box... I have 3 out in the shop, they have full length tops and bottoms tho.
I’ll reuse them someday... for something!

USPS seem to have people who are deliberately damaging any gun related packages. I had a collectable air rifle damaged by them recently. The package was dropped from a height on to the end, damaging the receiver.

Other carriers may cost more, but if USPS is deliberately destroy stuff they are not an option.

Yeah, they worked pretty hard to bust that box... I have 3 out in the shop, they have full length tops and bottoms tho.
I’ll reuse them someday... for something!
I use my crate as a case to carry my SMR back and forth in vehicles. Lined it with some egg crate foam from a 1905 Swedish unmentionable I bought on gunbroker.com a while back, and the full rifle fits snugly with the end of the barrel tucked into one corner. Did someone plan it that way, or was it pure serendipity?

I have enough foam left over to cover a a third of the crate from each end, and I'll use it on the lid as soon as I decide how configure it. I'm leaning towards attaching it with short screws, then splitting the crate all the way around about an inch down. That should give me enough meat for hinges and latches...

Last edited:
Sorry for your setback.
Are you serious?

Back