• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR 40 caliber put through the paces!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Scott

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As some may already know I was finally able to finish the Kibler SMR 40 caliber and was able to start breaking it in. I tried a lot of different combinations with everything from .390 RB to .395 RB and from patches starting at 0.010 to 0.020 thickness. On the first day of shooting, I was only able to shoot three times because my youngest daughter showed up with two of the grandbabies, so everyone got to shoot it but me. My oldest grandson fell in love with the little rifle, then his Dad had to have a few turns, and eventually, my 8-year-old granddaughter just had to have her turn a few times. So there wasn't much time for working out a decent load yesterday.

Today, I was able to spend some quality time with the SMR and settled on a .395 RB with a 0.015 pillow ticking patch lubed with wonder lube at a small charge of 25 grains of 3F. I shot from my small bench and was able to take my time. The target is a free rifle target I printed off of the Midway USA website in case anyone is interested. I put a small piece of blue painter's tape on the bullseye because I just couldn't see it 25 yards away. I'm sure the groups would have been better in more capable hands but my eyesight and Parkinson's shakes worked against me at every turn. I still had a ball shooting though.

The young lady in the picture is my dear 80-year-old mother that just had to have a picture of the new rifle with her favorite son. I think she was more proud of the rifle than I was.

1669331036495.png

1669331064761.png

1669331106540.png

1669331143561.png

Nice rifle and pics! Glad you got to get some shooting in with the family. That's my plan tomorrow, and best of all it's a paid holiday so I'll be making money while I'm making smoke 👍
Thank you, Sir. It was good times teaching the younger ones about flintlocks and watching them enjoy the shooting. Hope your day tomorrow goes as well as mine did.

I anm such a friggin chicken! My .40 SMR in the white is still in the white cuz I just know I will dick it up staining and browning it. Gotta get a project gun for practice cuz its killing me seeing all these rifles at the range.

Great pics, yer Mom is an awesome lady and tell her she looks sharp and makes that Kibler look GOOD! I love the shooting picture, look at that! The pan and barrel smoke are simultaneous like a cap rifle.

I anm such a friggin chicken! My .40 SMR in the white is still in the white cuz I just know I will dick it up staining and browning it. Gotta get a project gun for practice cuz its killing me seeing all these rifles at the range.

Great pics, yer Mom is an awesome lady and tell her she looks sharp and makes that Kibler look GOOD! I love the shooting picture, look at that! The pan and barrel smoke are simultaneous like a cap rifle.
Try practicing staining on some scrap pieces of wood first and that should give you a good idea of what you can expect. As far as browning the metal you should be able to do the same thing and may be surprised of much it will build your confidence. And thanks for the compliments on my mom. She is a hoot and enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner.

Pick up some Danglers browning solution, follow the instructions and it'll come out great. I used ferric nitrate crystals to stain my maple stock, then Minwax satin poly for the finish. Pretty painless to work with.

I usually color my bullseyes with a broad tip red sharpie. How long is your barrel? My .36 SMR has the 46" barrel, and it stands eyeball level to me. I cut my patches at the muzzle, so I had to learn to put the powder in the the rifle standing straight up, then tilt it down for the patch and ball. I use 25 gr. Swiss 3Fg, 000 buckshot, and .022" ticking lubed with Mink Oil (actually a paste).

Latest posts

Back