• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler quick ship on the way!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackeagle

40 Cal
Reaction score
They are serious when they say quick ship! I ordered a rifled 58 cal Kibler colonial quick ship kit Saturday evening and got my tracking number Monday during lunch. That's faster than most of my trips to the hardware store. Been looking forward to picking one up for a while! Will post pics as I work it.

They are serious when they say quick ship! I ordered a rifled 58 cal Kibler colonial quick ship kit Saturday evening and got my tracking number Monday during lunch. That's faster than most of my trips to the hardware store. Been looking forward to picking one up for a while! Will post pics as I work it.
I got my Kibler SMR quick ship last week in 40 cal. I haven't felt good health-wise for a few days but hope to get it done in the next few weeks. I was able to almost finish the inletting for the barrel and altered the shipping box so I can keep it stored in between working on it. I hinged the box lid and cut out the spots where the stock sit so it would fit with the barrel.

I got my Kibler SMR quick ship last week in 40 cal. I haven't felt good health-wise for a few days but hope to get it done in the next few weeks. I was able to almost finish the inletting for the barrel and altered the shipping box so I can keep it stored in between working on it. I hinged the box lid and cut out the spots where the stock sit so it would fit with the barrel.
I was thinking to do the same to the box. Feel better soon, you have a gun to build!

That’s Great, congrats!

Assembly is moving along swimmingly, but I hit a snag. My rear lock screw seems misaligned to the pre-tapped hole. Everything is nicely inletted and flush, and the screw isn't binding on stock or metal. Screw made a slight indent forward and up of the existing hole. Wondering if this can be re-tapped or reamed.

Attachments

• IMG_3597.JPG
    IMG_3597.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Man, I wish they were quick! I ordered mine on the 14th, and still haven't heard anything! And in .45, which said it didn't have a wait like .40.

I know Jim's been working hard fine tuning the Woodsrunner, but I want my birthday present!

Trapper Scott…
Love the idea of hinging the box! Maybe even sand stain and finish! Get better soon :)
Black eagle…
I had the same issue, without the barrel, lock and side plate fit perfectly, with barrel in place, it became a no go! I took a small rat tail file to the hole in the tang, mine needed a bit removed from the bottom side of the hole in the tang. Success!

P.S. Lorie at Kibler promised 2 to 3 months, but shipped in one, very cool, but what is “Quick ship”?
They occasionally have kits that are ready to ship within a weeks time. Sometimes it's because of a stock blemish which they discount, or a stock that's above standard grade pricing that has a slight price increase.

To me a kit is a kit so I decided to give one a new home :cool:. Thanks for the tip on the tang hole. Jim had the same suggestion once I make certain the barrel is seated. It looks so to me but I have plenty of time to double check my work.

Trapper Scott…
Love the idea of hinging the box! Maybe even sand stain and finish! Get better soon :)
Black eagle…
I had the same issue, without the barrel, lock and side plate fit perfectly, with barrel in place, it became a no go! I took a small rat tail file to the hole in the tang, mine needed a bit removed from the bottom side of the hole in the tang. Success!
I have the SMR kit and the single lock hole wouldn't line up perfectly, so I ran the tap through from the lock side to see how bad it was off. Turns out it wasn't off very much at all and the tap straightened it out in quick order without damaging the wood.

Such is life, this kit took much longer to complete than I anticipated. Got to pinning the nose cap last winter and life got busier. I could've done better with the pinnings as is apparent in the photo but they will stay as is because I like it and that's all that matters. This was my first time building and it was a great learning experience to gauge whether I'll ever do it again. If I do I know what to improve upon. Happy to show off that it is now completed!

IMG_7145.jpg
IMG_7146.jpg

I tried to stay as close to the finishing process as Jim demonstrates in his very helpful videos. I didn't want a dark finish and I'm delighted with how the stock turned out. Here's what I did to achieve the results shown.

Stock:
- 2 applications of Jim's Iron Nitrate (dried, heated, and wet whiskered after each application)
- 8 coats of Tried and True (24+ hrs drying between just because of my work schedule and the house atmosphere)
- 2 coats of Minwax special dark paste wax (tried this on some scrap wood first and liked the way it brightened the finish, otherwise the stock looked great with just T&T albeit more of a flat finish)

Barrel & Lock:
- Laurel Mountain Forge rust brown & degreaser. Followed Jim's demo's and the LMF instructions, no more, no less

Brass:
- Jax Brown. Followed Jim's demo's and the Jax instructions, no more, no less

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back