• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler or Caywood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just can't shake the have to have a nice .32 cal flintlock squirrel rifle fever. So what in your opinion is the best cure. A .32 Caywood or a Kibler SMR kit.

Thanks in advance for your help with the cure for this very contagious virus.

Not much help but you should research both and buy the one that suits you best. Whatever you do get one bought and dont look back. 32s are my favorite guns.

The Caywood kit is an assemblage of parts that require far more time to shape the wood, insert the inlays and drill (and tap when necessary) the parts for lock placement than the Kibler kit. It will take 120 hours approximately to assemble a Caywood kit.

It will take about 40 hours, perhaps less, to assemble a Kibler kit.

Both are excellent. You have more choices in schools of rifle architecture with the Caywood kits.

Don't confuse yourself and start looking at the Chambers kits.

I’ve assembled both Kibler kits in under 8 hours. Another week to put on finish.
FB8B9729-25CC-4BAA-B950-87141DD89E4D.jpeg
8B30B1EC-11D5-4F8E-8A33-2A9FB71348D3.jpeg

I would go with Kibler for sure. I've watched a number of his Youtube videos showing the process of assembling both of his kits. His parts are top notch, and it's my understanding that he is making via CNC machining, one of his locks. I happen to own a Caywood Fussel De Chase and it is a very fine musket, but if I was to drop the hammer on another rifle at this time it would probably be one of Kibler's. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would build something other than a Kibler just for the fact everyone is building Kiblers. They're good guns but I like going against the grain and an awful lot is already done on the Kibler kits. Have you ever thought of ordering parts from other sources, and building it?

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience with caywood , i have built a colonial with the Chambers lock and just finished his smr in 40. A couple of hours to ensure parts fit the wood, finish the metal ( smr are all steel no brass) prepare your stock the way you want and assemble. There is no extensive carving to make things go together. Unless you like carving a 2x8 this is the way to go.

Never assembled or worked on a Muzzleloader so went with the Kibler .54 Colonial after watching the many videos and reading what I could find. Some very minor corrections to the inletting with a few chisels and drilling holes then it's metal and stock prep and finishing work. As soon as that rifle was finished I then ordered a Kibler .45 SMR and was amazed at how light it felt compared to the Colonial, still working on it though. Kiblers are like a snap-together model kit for the inexperienced/beginner or for someone who wants a very nice rifle for under $1500 and decent with their hands with limited tools. Now if your an experienced person then that will open many more doors and offer an end product that is more unique after many more hours of labor and effort. I do recommend a Kibler kit to my friends as a heirloom or project that is much better than say a Traditions, Hawken, Lyman, or Pedersoli kit.

No experience with kits outside of Kibler (Kibler’s really aren’t a kit), but I love my .58 from JimView attachment 112144View attachment 112145View attachment 112146
No experience with kits outside of Kibler (Kibler’s really aren’t a kit), but I love my .58 from JimView attachment 112144View attachment 112145View attachment 112146
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-colonial-assembly-timeline.136570/
Depending on how detailed you go into carving, it doesn’t take long to put one together
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-colonial-assembly-timeline.136570/
Depending on how detailed you go into carving, it doesn’t take long to put one together

I just can't shake the have to have a nice .32 cal flintlock squirrel rifle fever. So what in your opinion is the best cure. A .32 Caywood or a Kibler SMR kit.

Thanks in advance for your help with the cure for this very contagious virus.
I have a caywood kit. My view is if you want a complete rifle ready to shoot a caywood. You want to build a kit the kibler. Kibler probably cheaper. But caywood is awesome

Back