• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
This is fun to read. Folks are actually experiencing what a well designed and made flintlock can do. I am convinced that many, maybe most, modern flintlock shooters never experienced a good lock and don't really know what they should expect. The lock below is a Chamber round-faced English lock that fired 671 rounds before a misfire using up 10 flints.

H9rfAIq.jpg

I even posted this lock sparking with a rounded piece of quartz.

QWiM7hA.jpg

Gq01iUu.jpg

Flintlocks should be snug against the barrel. On a Kibler kit there is no excuse for any gaps except inexperience or ignorance, or both.

dave

This is me....spent years running TC Renegade & Hawken with subpar performance. I did swap out to an L&R RPL lock on the Hawken and it's been a lot better reliability than the TC stock lock (even with upgraded taller hammer). Just ordered a Kibler SMR .45, excited to see how this will perform.

I finally got around to shooting my SMR yesterday. Holy cow! I like it a lot!

One thing I noticed, though, is the lock sits a fair way away from the barrel. Like almost a thirty second of an inch. Shouldn't it be snug against the barrel?

I bought this from an member here who had it assembled by a builder. Nicely done plain SMR in walnut and 40 caliber. I'm smiling, but also wondering if I need to inlet the lock deeper so it fits snug angainst the barrel.
Watch kiblers video on inletting/adjusting the lock placement. It should be tight to it. Not difficult, but much easier with some prussian blue (he will talk about it).

One thing I noticed, though, is the lock sits a fair way away from the barrel. Like almost a thirty second of an inch. Shouldn't it be snug against the barrel?

I bought this from an member here who had it assembled by a builder. Nicely done plain SMR in walnut and 40 caliber. I'm smiling, but also wondering if I need to inlet the lock deeper so it fits snug angainst the barrel.
It was assembled improperly. Sometimes they need a little inletting of the lock internals the SMR I finished did knot need this. But both Colonials did. Better fix this before firing or it will get real ugly fast when powder in the lock mortise has a “fast fire”. This is very unsafe.

Will get sighted in tomorrow, if it does not turn nasty again. Colonial #2 is almost ready for relief carving.. Other than the cock and frizzen this lock is entirely machined from bar stock. Very impressive.
image.jpg

You might want to contact Jim and send him a picture of it. He is Super helpful and always tries to help someone with their build.

>> Jan <<

I'm lucky to get 10-20 shouts out of a TOW English Flint with my Pedersoli Pennsylvania.
I was getting about 15 to 20 shots on my TVM Mississippi Poor Boy…Lightened the main spring, and now I’m north of 69 shots before I need to replace the flint.

I don’t know what my average is, cuz at 69 shots I quit counting…4th flint @ 69+, since I lightened the mainspring. Cocking the gun is also a lot easier and quieter…just a sweet little click at full cock.

My .40 calibre TVM Natchez Poor Boy does about 35 to 40 shots, before I need to replace flint…it’s in that nebulous region of “Do I really want to take the time to touch this up?” As yet I have not…

Last edited:

That is a serious flaw.
Remove the lock and ensure there is not an obstruction in the inlet keeping the lock from drawing down into position.
When reinstalling the lock, tighten the screws CAREFULLY. DO NOT OVER-TORQUE THEM.

Dang they`re Good! I've got about 250-300 shots behind me now without a single failure to ignite the powder in the pan -- and I'm only on my second flint! The only flash in the pan I've had was due to a goop buildup on the plug in a long duration match -- easily remedied with a plug scraper.

The main reason I'm so impressed is I used to watch folks at the range shooting flinters have misfire after misfire, usually with a failure to ignite the pan powder. One guy explained that these failures were just a fact of life with flinters and part of the sport. He also said that he only got 15-20 shots out of a flint before he had to change it. Watching these guys made such an impression on me that I shied away from flintlocks for 50 years!

When I finally broke down and bought my Kibler, I did so knowing that I would have problems with misfires. Happily, I could not have been more wrong. Knowing what I know now, wish I'd gotten into flinters years ago.
Good! I'm awaiting the day Mr. Kibler announces a Pistol! I'll be 1st buyer!

Back