• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Kits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was watching some videos of Kibler kits being built. It seems like they are almost 100% inletted, well, almost. They look like really nice kits, especially for a first time builder. My first one was a Isaac Haines from Dunlap in curly cherry. It came out pretty darn good for stark amateur. The stock though was semi inletted for the lock, no inletting for the tang, thimbles or buttplate. Then of course there was the patchbox. I cut all the dovetails for sights & underlings by hand. Yep, hacksaw, file & chisel! But . . . It was a wonderful challenge and learning process.

You can't go wrong with a Kibler kit if the available styles suite your purpose. Great for a first time builder as you are virtually guaranteed to end up with a quality rifle.

About the only thing needed for a Kibler kit besides metal/stock finish is maybe a bit of wood removal and "possibly" (not sure) draw filing the barrel.

Great folks. Recently they were 4 months late on a kit I ordered from them and I had to cancel the order due to my schedule, but they were nice and gave me a full refund. Many folks here are very happy with their rifles. I wouldn’t expect it to be delivered in the quoted time on their website but they are very nice kits.

I got one of the very early SMRs, the inlets took a bit more wood removal than the more refined current kits, it was still a joy to put together over any precarve I had done in the past.

I was at a friends house the other day, he had one of the new Colonial kits, the lock fit perfectly into the inlet without any wood removal, this was right out of the box.

I am starting to seriously consider a Kibler Kit rifle, perhaps ordering sooner than later. I really like the attributes of the Colonial, regarding the period that it replicates (~ 1770), the excellent Lock provided and the option of the Cherry wood stock.

Jim Kibler has produced informative videos on youtube, and I would like to learn about bluing or browning the barrel, and something special in terms of solutions that might be used for finishing the cherry stock. Images of completed Kibler Colonial Rifles in Cherry seem difficult to find ...

Yes, it seems that these days it might take longer than usual. Not a problem for me ... I'll be busy with two finished rifles. And first thing I have learned from research and watching Jim Kibler's videos is: I'll spring for the extra cost of Fancy Maple, and then use Iron Nitrate in the finishing (not Cherry).

I recently completed a Kibler Colonial with the GM barrel with upgrades like the machined-in barrel tenons. The rifle Is a perfect example of American ingenuity that combines modern methods with top quality components and historical continuity. Price is kept low by taking advantage of standardization within the two models. I can’t speak to the SMR, but I find most of the accolades of the Kibler are directed at appearance and component attributes. IMO, the attribute that trumps the aforementioned with my 58 cal Colonial, is the more subjective aspect of the ergonomics, balance, and shooting qualities. Of the several colonial style rifles I own, this rifle really stands out. It’s 1-2 pounds heavier, but has perfect balance. The stock fit and sights land perfectly. Accurate, off-hand shooting is an afterthought. Perhaps an individual of different physical characteristics may assess this differently, but I did find that my matched 50 caliber barrel did not have the same ergonomic qualities of the 58 cal.......attributed to the dimensional standardization, this combination was front heavy, not possessing the same balance as the 58...for me. IMO, this is something that one should think about when purchasing the Kibler.

I have a .58 Colonial and noticed the same thing. Even though it feels heavy in the hands, it balances really well when aimed. I don't think I would want any smaller caliber. Any smaller caliber would be muzzle heavy. I shoot left-handed, and there isn't enough castoff to bother me.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the advice concerning .58 cal versus .50 cal. I was set on simply ordering a Colonial in .50 cal ... because that is what my other Flintlocks are made for. Now I realize that thinking of staying with the same size Round Ball and Patches for convenience is shallow reasoning.

If I want a rifle that will shoot very accurately, how it handles and balances is an important part of that. Thanks again, gentlemen. Can't Wait!

I have a Kibler S. mountain, and a Colonial rifle: working on that last one. I say "working", but it is more like me thinking about what I want to do with it. First off, the kits are composed of the best materials available, and produced to unheard of specs.: until now. Secondly, Jim and Katherin are wonderful people. They hold themselves to the highest standards of customer service, and quality control. Another thing to remember is that they do not farm out parts. Except for barrel blanks (which they finish themselves), all their stuff is manufactured in house. They like it that way so that they can control quality. If you need reassurance about ordering from them give them a call. You will see what I mean. Kibler's are simply the best kits available.

Walnut or Maple ... ?

My Traditions Kentucky has a Walnut stock. While this is nicely done and there is nothing wrong with it, from what I know of different wood species, only the Maple is such that end-grain of the curly wood grain can produce the beautiful, stark contrast that really makes a gunstock distinctive. The Walnut and the Cherry seem plain and flat in comparison. I'm sort of still looking for representative images, but certainly leaning toward the Maple.

Latest posts

Back