• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler kit assembly and carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure the owner is more than thrilled with this work of art. Thanks again for ssharing your how-to and providing excellent tutorial explanations and photos along the way. It isn't always east to remember to take photos while deeply involved in building so even more cudos to you for making that extra effort for us. Looking forward to further wonders!

Should one ever consider adjusting the balance of a rifle with use of perhaps a small weight in the patch box to make it less muzzle heavy, or would the additional weight not be worth the balance?

Hi Simon,
No, don't add any weight. You need to handle the gun yourself to see how it holds for you. It holds very steady because of the weight distribution. Some serious target shooters will like how the gun feels but my preference is for more relative weight at the breech. Also, I think the higher rear sight will work well for you but the original sight is blued and ready to go if you decide to use it. The trigger pull is about 1.5 lbs and as crisp as any set trigger. I sighted it with a laser bore sighter so windage should be set pretty close. It's been raining so I haven't taken it out on my range yet. I'll get it shooting into the scoring area at 50 yards and leave the rest of the zeroing in for you to do. I still have to write up your owner's manual. I think you are going to like it. The photos actually don't do it justice.

dave

It's a shock how much wood will move. I received my .58 cal. Colonial several weeks prior to our build class at Bowling Green, KY. When it arrived, of course I opened the box up and checked it out. I was surprised at how well everything fit. Then I got the email special deals offer and picked up a SMR in .40 cal. Well of course I opened up both boxes and compared them. I was convinced I wasn't going to need to do much fitting.

But a few days prior to the class in early June, monsoon season started here in Illinois. When I got to the classroom at WKU in early June, nothing fit like it had. Your warnings about the slots and the rear lock bolt are noted. I did not think I was ever going to get that ramrod to fit. And I wonder right now if I should not work on it some more. Just in case.

I've used the Sutherland-Welles tung oil products before. On antique heart pine flooring. Superb stuff. With just open windows for fresh air, it can be used without needing a respirator like many other brands. It's a wiping oil with less drying agents added. I may order up a small amount for the SMR kit.

I really appreciate the way you take time to explain your talents. Thank you!

Yeah, I was expecting it to be a nice rifle based on his previous work, now I'm scared to shoot this piece of art haha.
I'll shoot it and hunt with it for you then. Lol.
It has to pass by here on it's way to you anyway.....
Seriously though. To me at least, part of the beauty with these is that they are functional artistry. Yes, they will pick up signs of use. As long as it isn't abuse, it is character. Let someone generations from now wonder about the carving that has some wear to it or is worn away, let then wonder the stories a well carved but well used rifle could tell.

Safe queens have no tales to tell.

True enough, I often stare at my 1916 rifle wondering if its fought any battles, and how the parts broke and who repaired it with replacements.

Hi Simon,
I built your rifle to shoot not just hang on a wall. My favorite woods walk gun is my decorated high-end English fowler. Dings and scratches will make it look real. I believe Jim Kibler's barrels shoot very well so you should do fine at the range or in the field. You can almost always fix small dents by placing a damp rag against the stock at the dent and heating it with an iron set on high. Just hold the iron in place until it steams for a few minutes. The dent will be mostly or completely gone and the finish won't be harmed. I'll describe how to care for the gun in the owner's manual.

dave

Hi Simon,
I built your rifle to shoot not just hang on a wall. My favorite woods walk gun is my decorated high-end English fowler. Dings and scratches will make it look real. I believe Jim Kibler's barrels shoot very well so you should do fine at the range or in the field. You can almost always fix small dents by placing a damp rag against the stock at the dent and heating it with an iron set on high. Just hold the iron in place until it steams for a few minutes. The dent will be mostly or completely gone and the finish won't be harmed. I'll describe how to care for the gun in the owner's manual.

dave

Beautiful work as always! You mentioned the barrel as one of Jim's. I take it this kit came with one of the new Green Mountain "blanks" they get and finish in house?
Do you have an opinion, you're willing to share, about these versus Rice barrels?

Beautiful work as always! You mentioned the barrel as one of Jim's. I take it this kit came with one of the new Green Mountain "blanks" they get and finish in house?
Do you have an opinion, you're willing to share, about these versus Rice barrels?
Hi,
No. I have no opinion yet and no experience.

dave

Back