• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wseidel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just spoke with Jim Kibler about the possibility of offering a Hawken rifle kit - as there is so much interest in this rifle in the muzzleloading community. As you are aware, he presently offers two styles - Colonial Rifle and Southern Mountain Rifle - and is working on a fowler (smoothbore) that may be ready in approximately six months. He hinted that it is extremely likely that a Hawken may be next on his kit list. His build quality is excellent both in the stock (CNC machined) as well as the period correct architecture of the lock, sights, trigger, etc. This Hawken kit, if it moves ahead, may be available as soon as a year and a half. I would definitely be interested in a Hawken kit from Jim...complete with a beautiful wood stock. I built a Thompson Center Hawken kit in 1979 and I cherish this rifle....something about the Hawken style and history that is so appealing.

I just spoke with Jim Kibler about the possibility of offering a Hawken rifle kit - as there is so much interest in this rifle in the muzzleloading community. As you are aware, he presently offers two styles - Colonial Rifle and Southern Mountain Rifle - and is working on a fowler (smoothbore) that may be ready in approximately six months. He hinted that it is extremely likely that a Hawken may be next on his kit list. His build quality is excellent both in the stock (CNC machined) as well as the period correct architecture of the lock, sights, trigger, etc. This Hawken kit, if it moves ahead, may be available as soon as a year and a half. I would definitely be interested in a Hawken kit from Jim...complete with a beautiful wood stock. I built a Thompson Center Hawken kit in 1979 and I cherish this rifle....something about the Hawken style and history that is so appealing.
Good to hear that could come to fruition. The amount of skill, engineering, technology, planning, etc., that go into Mr. Kibler's kits is astounding; that he applies all that to artistry from the past is wonderful to see. I'll bet he'd be swamped with orders for a true Hawken-style! (Guess he'll be too busy to do up a nice Pistol!)

That would be great but I will be 90 years old by then. I just finished building a Lyman GPR but doubt I will be able/interested. Find a way to get young guys interested. Jim is not making enough money to support ads like the one Lyman has on right next to my writing [and yours] for their GPR signature series. It is up to you older [not old] folks to urge/show/assist/gift young hunters to go try Traditional muzzle loaders. Polecat

That would be great but I will be 90 years old by then. I just finished building a Lyman GPR but doubt I will be able/interested. Find a way to get young guys interested. Jim is not making enough money to support ads like the one Lyman has on right next to my writing [and yours] for their GPR signature series. It is up to you older [not old] folks to urge/show/assist/gift young hunters to go try Traditional muzzle loaders. Polecat
Yes. The NMLRA is constantly touting young people into the organization; us older guys are not the long term future!

Yes. The NMLRA is constantly touting young people into the organization; us older guys are not the long term future!
When I was a pastor I constantly reminded us old people that, while the essential message remained constant, the methods [read that music [including drums], body movement, lighting, seating arrangement, etc.,] should accommodate the younger parishioners. Most of us liked old hymns but there is a lot of new music with the same message. Same for our sport. Look to youth if you want it to survive. Polecat

I am definitely interested. It would be good to know just what type of Hawken he might have in mind. They evolved quite a bit during the years the Hawken shop was in operation.

It would also be great if he would replicate the Hawken barrel. The real heart and soul of these guns was in the way they were bored, reamed, and rifled.

I'll be watching for this Kibler Hawken. Looking forward to it!

Notchy Bob

There’s a buzz at Friendship (not this Covid year) since their announcement of the Hawken History Classic in St. Louis. Legacy matches until 2025 commemorating Hawken’s 200th Anniversary. Postponed until 2022 with Covid.
Jim is definitely in the loop as he’s involved in NMLRA Education classes using his kits.
Good to hear.

Thanks very much for the update. I'm looking forward to ordering one of Jims fowlers. Money's burning a hole in my pocket. It'll be interesting to see what bores will be offered and if it will be English, French or ?

Fascinating. I've never had a lot of interest in Hawkens, but things change.... 😉 A Kibler Hawken would indeed be something to strongly consider.

Update: I sent Jim Kibler a link to this thread yesterday when I initially posted (as a courtesy). Hopefully, he'll have an opportunity to read the comments and see not only the interest but the passion expressed for developing a Hawken kit.

Note: I shared with Jim during our discussion that I'd like to be at the front of the list for the Hawken kit and he mentioned that some are already on it. From the responses shared here it appears that the list will be getting longer. :)

I like to build one-off guns that are based on specific originals. A nearly finished kit gun works for someone who wants that gun at a low price and wants to feel they had a hand in making it. So, kits of any make don’t interest me but I do hope parts will become available as some are hard to source right now.

Back