• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

kibler fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He cannot keep up with demand for his others.
Until he can increase capacity why start another model?
This may just be a covid thing. Who knows? But it could be materials or parts supplies or any number of reasons bit if you can't keep up you need to increase capacity

This is true. I had an order in with him for a SMR kit quoted at a 1 month wait. That turned into 4 months so I was forced to cancel the order due to a lot of upcoming work.

I’m super happy for his success but the demand is overtaking him.

It's the 'copy it' part you brushed over a bit too quickly. No to mention selecting just the right original for the best mass appeal. Then take the amount of time a high production small shop has in a day to work extra projects (Jim and a few helpers), design and program every single part that has to be made in the lock, fine tuning, testing, and making adjustments along the way, which then, cascading down, have to be made to a whole list of parts, program the breech plug, develop a process for the pipes, each part in the triggers, sights, and furniture, each dialed in to be plug and play, and you're talking months, then figure a workable production schedule as you don't have 25 CNC machines. That is all after you go through the long process of choosing an original to copy, find an excellent example, purchase it for 25k, get it in the shop, stock up on the appropriate blanks, then get a pipeline of materials going so the first few thousand can go out quickly after announcement (suddenly your screw supplier can't hit your tolerances though they promised they could) and still have enough pipeline to keep up with demand, in this friggin ridiculous environment. I'd be pleased if we could get on the list by July. It's not Pedersoli, it's Jim, Kat on the phones, and a few kids.

I don’t think there is a market for a “ few thousand “.
The numbers of us who like traditional muzzleloaders is rapidly shrinking as we die off.
The numbers of us who would pay in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars for one is smaller still.

Tens of thousands of thousand dollar muzzleloaders sold every year before Jim started making them better in every respect for the same money. Thousands.

Not Indian trade guns.
And that is not a slam against his superlative kits, or smoothbore trade guns. I may order one myself when He gets production going.

Not Indian trade guns.
And that is not a slam against his superlative kits, or smoothbore trade guns. I may order one myself when He gets production going.

Oh, I see what your saying. The trade gun market. True enough. I was speaking more generally. I am interested to see how it goes, but I am with RP, I wish he’d decided on a proper English Fowling Piece.

Not Indian trade guns.
If you get the book, Of Sorts for Provincials by Jim Mullins and look at the Wilson "trade gun" we are discussing it is labeled as a "fowling gun' on pp. 53- 56, as is the Bumford fowler on pp. 49-52. The "Officer's fusil by Barbar that follows is also very similar except for the larger, .68 caliber. All three are far more sophisticated than the actual Indian trade gun on pp. 61-64. With some work i.e. a thumb piece, modified triggerguard, and sideplate; and carving you could create a period piece like any of them.

I don’t think there is a market for a “ few thousand “.
The numbers of us who like traditional muzzleloaders is rapidly shrinking as we die off.
The numbers of us who would pay in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars for one is smaller still.
Why do you think Jim and his wife Kat (?) are studying the matter. Cost of upscaling production vs. the potential demand. Also, how many more SMR's and Colonials can they sell? I think a fowler and possibly a pistol kit would bring in repeat customers.

Last edited:
i am aware that I oversimplified things a bit, but a good example could be had for much less than $25K. Doesn’t even have to be an original. Contemporary builders turn out excellent examples every month that would be great to copy. I’ll bet a deal could be worked out with the Museum Of The Fur Trade to get one of their better examples on loan for a few weeks or months to examine and copy. They had maybe 80 or so on display to choose from when I was there a few years ago, and there could be more squirreled away in a back room somewhere.
I own an original English fusil/ trade gun I would be happy to loan them, if I could get a production kit. It would have to be modified for the modified Colonial lock Jim wants to use; however.

Hi guys. I just thought I would give a little update on the fowling piece kit project as well as business in general.

This past year has been very good for us. We are very busy trying to get all orders filled in a timely manner but realize we still have a ways to go until we get where we would like. We're taking steps to control the production of more and more parts. This will allow us to hopefully get to a point where virtually all products are stocked. We will have a great deal of money in inventory, but we feel it will be worth it. In the past year, we've moved all lock production "in house" as well as much of the barrel making process. Labor has been a difficulty and we're happy to announce we've hired a new production supervisor who will be starting very soon. This will allow more of my time to be devoted towards new projects. Sales continue to grow by leaps and bounds each year and we're thankful for all who have supported us. We have big plans for our business and are working hard to achieve them.

We have done some work on the new fowling piece project. It's not as far along as we had hoped, but we'll get there. I understand there are a lot of different preferences as to styles and designs. We may end up offering a couple of different options. A nice quality trade gun such as the Wilson I mentioned will be offered first. We've purchased a good original example to reference during this development. My personal preference tends to lean towards high-end London made fowling pieces, but other grades have a lot of merit as well. Especially when viewed in the context of their role in this country. That aside, trade guns can have great form, design, and aesthetic appeal on their own. Trust me, what we offer will be nice and no corners will be cut!

Thanks again for all the support. We would have never guessed our business would have become what it is so fast. If you have any questions, for me just ask.

All the best,
Jim

Hi guys. I just thought I would give a little update on the fowling piece kit project as well as business in general.

This past year has been very good for us. We are very busy trying to get all orders filled in a timely manner but realize we still have a ways to go until we get where we would like. We're taking steps to control the production of more and more parts. This will allow us to hopefully get to a point where virtually all products are stocked. We will have a great deal of money in inventory, but we feel it will be worth it. In the past year, we've moved all lock production "in house" as well as much of the barrel making process. Labor has been a difficulty and we're happy to announce we've hired a new production supervisor who will be starting very soon. This will allow more of my time to be devoted towards new projects. Sales continue to grow by leaps and bounds each year and we're thankful for all who have supported us. We have big plans for our business and are working hard to achieve them.

We have done some work on the new fowling piece project. It's not as far along as we had hoped, but we'll get there. I understand there are a lot of different preferences as to styles and designs. We may end up offering a couple of different options. A nice quality trade gun such as the Wilson I mentioned will be offered first. We've purchased a good original example to reference during this development. My personal preference tends to lean towards high-end London made fowling pieces, but other grades have a lot of merit as well. Especially when viewed in the context of their role in this country. That aside, trade guns can have great form, design, and aesthetic appeal on their own. Trust me, what we offer will be nice and no corners will be cut!

Thanks again for all the support. We would have never guessed our business would have become what it is so fast. If you have any questions, for me just ask.

All the best,
Jim
Thank you very much Jim for the products currently offered. I have just ordered my 4th kit and look forward to your next offering.

This is true. I had an order in with him for a SMR kit quoted at a 1 month wait. That turned into 4 months so I was forced to cancel the order due to a lot of upcoming work.

I’m super happy for his success but the demand is overtaking him.
I ordered one in June with a 2 month wait. I'm still waiting. Green Mountain had problems with their steel suppliers during the Covid thing. That set Jim back a lot.

Back