• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

kibler fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on guys get him to do a lefty Schimmel, I want one really bad. 40 in. bbl, swamped in 54 cal. nice piece of maple for the stock, he** I like iron mounted weapons but would settle for brass.

How much “ development “ could it take?
Pick an existing example ( there are hundreds of them out there ) that is satisfactory and copy it. Program the dimensions into the CNC machinery, and run with it.

It's the 'copy it' part you brushed over a bit too quickly. No to mention selecting just the right original for the best mass appeal. Then take the amount of time a high production small shop has in a day to work extra projects (Jim and a few helpers), design and program every single part that has to be made in the lock, fine tuning, testing, and making adjustments along the way, which then, cascading down, have to be made to a whole list of parts, program the breech plug, develop a process for the pipes, each part in the triggers, sights, and furniture, each dialed in to be plug and play, and you're talking months, then figure a workable production schedule as you don't have 25 CNC machines. That is all after you go through the long process of choosing an original to copy, find an excellent example, purchase it for 25k, get it in the shop, stock up on the appropriate blanks, then get a pipeline of materials going so the first few thousand can go out quickly after announcement (suddenly your screw supplier can't hit your tolerances though they promised they could) and still have enough pipeline to keep up with demand, in this friggin ridiculous environment. I'd be pleased if we could get on the list by July. It's not Pedersoli, it's Jim, Kat on the phones, and a few kids.

Last edited:
It's the 'copy it' part you brushed over a bit too quickly. No to mention selecting just the right original for the best mass appeal. Then take the amount of time a high production small shop has in a day to work extra projects (Jim and a few helpers), design and program every single part that has to be made in the lock, fine tuning, testing, and making adjustments along the way, which then, cascading down, have to be made to a whole list of parts, program the breech plug, develop a process for the pipes, each part in the triggers, sights, and furniture, each dialed in to be plug and play, and you're talking months, then figure a workable production schedule as you don't have 25 CNC machines. That is all after you go through the long process of choosing an original to copy, find an excellent example, purchase it for 25k, get it in the shop, stock up on the appropriate blanks, then get a pipeline of materials going so the first few thousand can go out quickly after announcement (suddenly your screw supplier can't hit your tolerances though they promised they could) and still have enough pipeline to keep up with demand, in this friggin ridiculous environment. I'd be pleased if we could get on the list by July. It's not Pedersoli, it's Jim, Kat on the phones, and a few kids.

i am aware that I oversimplified things a bit, but a good example could be had for much less than $25K. Doesn’t even have to be an original. Contemporary builders turn out excellent examples every month that would be great to copy. I’ll bet a deal could be worked out with the Museum Of The Fur Trade to get one of their better examples on loan for a few weeks or months to examine and copy. They had maybe 80 or so on display to choose from when I was there a few years ago, and there could be more squirreled away in a back room somewhere.

Hi,
I just wish he chose a different example from the one he described. You can turn an elegant English fowler into a trade gun but not the other way around.

dave

You would almost think it wouldn’t be too difficult to use the same base programming for both and offer a choice

You would almost think it wouldn’t be too difficult to use the same base programming for both and offer a choice
There is a huge difference and would require some skill on the part of the builder; especially in the butt plate area, and any inlays. I noticed most of those who have purchased the the colonial rifle and especially the mountain rifle do very little to no modifications or carving.

I'm just happy to know Jim will be offering a smoothbore. Can't wait to see what it is.
Given the quality of his work I am tempted.
I own a colonial rifle modified to a Virginia style by Andy Thomas and a colonial rifle kit that I am modifying in to a Christian Springs style. I also am working on an old 'in the white' Larry Williams fowler ( .62 cal.) and I have a Clay Smith 1740's trade gun kit.
So do I have a need...NO, but I would buy one.

There is a huge difference and would require some skill on the part of the builder; especially in the butt plate area, and any inlays. I noticed most of those who have purchased the the colonial rifle and especially the mountain rifle do very little to no modifications or carving.

I understand. I was talking about offering two separate kits and the similarity in the CNC programming for the stock. Of course there are differences in architecture and furniture but I was speaking specifically on the difficulty in doing coding changes to offer both when you were already coding for one.

Last edited:
i am aware that I oversimplified things a bit, but a good example could be had for much less than $25K. Doesn’t even have to be an original. Contemporary builders turn out excellent examples every month that would be great to copy. I’ll bet a deal could be worked out with the Museum Of The Fur Trade to get one of their better examples on loan for a few weeks or months to examine and copy. They had maybe 80 or so on display to choose from when I was there a few years ago, and there could be more squirreled away in a back room somewhere.

That would just be a copy of a copy.

Back