• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler extra fancy question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Jim's YouTube videos he showed finishing a SMR extra fancy maple stock using Aquafortis then heat and then permalyn sealer. On another video I see both above and then permalyn gun stock finish on top of them. I have on hand Ye Original Aquafortis, Permalyn sealer and Permalyn gun stock finish. What is best to use and in what order.

There are numerous you tube videos on finishing maple stocks. Whiskering involves wiping a damp cloth over the wood. Let it soak in for 30-60 seconds, then dry the area with a heat gun. This brings small wood fibers up. Sand the fuzzies off with 220 grit sandpaper, then repeat 3-4 times.

After wiskering the wood until no further fibers curl up, then apply aqua fortis as directed. I wait 30-60 seconds, then blush the wood with a heat gun. The transition from a nasty green/gray to a beautiful golden brown is impressive. Be careful with the heat gun as it can scorch edges of the wood. You can apply multiple coats of aqua fortis for a darked color. Remember, many oils, varnish, etc. can make the color a little darker.

Post some pics as you go along.

There are numerous you tube videos on finishing maple stocks. Whiskering involves wiping a damp cloth over the wood. Let it soak in for 30-60 seconds, then dry the area with a heat gun. This brings small wood fibers up. Sand the fuzzies off with 220 grit sandpaper, then repeat 3-4 times.

After wiskering the wood until no further fibers curl up, then apply aqua fortis as directed. I wait 30-60 seconds, then blush the wood with a heat gun. The transition from a nasty green/gray to a beautiful golden brown is impressive. Be careful with the heat gun as it can scorch edges of the wood. You can apply multiple coats of aqua fortis for a darked color. Remember, many oils, varnish, etc. can make the color a little darker.

Post some pics as you go along.
Thanks, this will be my first build and I'm a little nervous. When the gun gets here I'll post the build. I'm definitely taking my time with the wood because I'm a metal worker by trade. No wood experience at all.

Thanks, this will be my first build and I'm a little nervous. When the gun gets here I'll post the build. I'm definitely taking my time with the wood because I'm a metal worker by trade. No wood experience at all.
It’s a piece of cake. I have a business (albeit side business) working with wood slabs. Properly sand, follow the steps for aqua fortis, apply oil, and then sealer or poly.

Here is my build
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-colonial-assembly-timeline.136570/

Go slowly, but don’t worry. Any mistakes can be re-sanded. Aqua fortis is forgiving if you need to blend a new area with an existing area. It is more difficult to blend after an oil, varnish, poly, etc. is applied on top of Aqua fortis.

Back