• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler Colonial kit is on the way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at Kibler kits last night. What nice rifles but I doubt I will ever order one. I don't think I have the skills to do the gun justice. I have built around 7 kits so far and used to buy boogered up CVAs from pawn shops that others tried to build from kits and I would rebuild those into nice looking guns but there is a lot of difference in a CVA, TC or Investarms kit and a Kibler.

I would hate to just build it plane looking without any carving. Even incise carving would look nice but I have never done that either. The wood working and staining aren't mysteries and neither is the metal finishing. Its just the little details that make the guns look like they just stepped out of the 18th century I am not sure about.

One thing that would be in my favor is that I have always liked the "working Mans" style of gun. The simpler, less elaborate kind of gun. But I like that in my trucks too. The less fancy the better.
Never sell yourself short…

I was just looking at Kibler kits last night. What nice rifles but I doubt I will ever order one. I don't think I have the skills to do the gun justice. I have built around 7 kits so far and used to buy boogered up CVAs from pawn shops that others tried to build from kits and I would rebuild those into nice looking guns but there is a lot of difference in a CVA, TC or Investarms kit and a Kibler.

I would hate to just build it plane looking without any carving. Even incise carving would look nice but I have never done that either. The wood working and staining aren't mysteries and neither is the metal finishing. Its just the little details that make the guns look like they just stepped out of the 18th century I am not sure about.

One thing that would be in my favor is that I have always liked the "working Mans" style of gun. The simpler, less elaborate kind of gun. But I like that in my trucks too. The less fancy the better.
I'm not doing any carving on mine... yet. I have always liked the poor boy style, simple iron mounted rifles that just look like they belong in the woods. Im just still trying to figure out the best way to get the gray color I want on the steel versus blue or brown.

There are little things you can do that can "bling" up an otherwise plain rifle....make a custom toe plate out of stock brass...put a brass and/or silver star on the cheek piece. I've soldered some sheet silver on the ram rod pipes and the little finial on the top of the butt plate. Alot of little details that singley don't seem like much, but taken together set's your rifle apart from the thundering herd. Silver's cheap and so is solder. Experiment a little..you'd be suprised how easy it is and how good it looks.

My .50 cal. Colonial with fancy maple sure has some nice figure in it , extra fancy has got to be awesome !

Attachments

• KIMG0978.JPG
    KIMG0978.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0977.JPG
    KIMG0977.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0976.JPG
    KIMG0976.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0975.JPG
    KIMG0975.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0970.JPG
    KIMG0970.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 0
Thats a really nice looking gun Bob. With just enough carving to set it apart from a plain jane gun like I would build.

I think you're underestimating your abilities! If you can cobble together the craptastic CVA/TC/traditions kits into something you like, the Kibler will SHINE under your care. I just finished my .58 Colonial and it came out great with minimal carving...the "working man's gun" as you say. I've only built a couple of the above referenced varieties of kits and had ZERO carving experience. I did some practice on a scrap block of Maple that Jim Kibler kindly sent in my kit upon my request and figured out which chisels to use. Also, there is NOTHING wrong with keeping it simple. It will go bang just the same.

Nice job !!! Beautiful piece of wood ! Did you use the Tannic acid and iron nitrate Mr. Kibler sells. It truly makes wood beautiful !!!!awesome stock sir !!!
I just used aqua fortis (from Kibler) and applied oil with a couple drops of honey maple stain until it wouldn’t take any more.

After months of reading many posts here on Kibler kits, I placed my order in January for a Colonial .54 rifled with extra fancy maple stock. This morning, I received that long awaited email (after 15 weeks) that my order was ready to ship. My thanks to all who have posted so many encouraging words about Kibler kits. Those posts went a long way in motivating me to choose a Kibler and take the plunge into this build. You all have posted pictures of some beautiful rifles. I hope that mine will come close to what you have done.
Al
Congrats. Always exciting.

After months of reading many posts here on Kibler kits, I placed my order in January for a Colonial .54 rifled with extra fancy maple stock. This morning, I received that long awaited email (after 15 weeks) that my order was ready to ship. My thanks to all who have posted so many encouraging words about Kibler kits. Those posts went a long way in motivating me to choose a Kibler and take the plunge into this build. You all have posted pictures of some beautiful rifles. I hope that mine will come close to what you have done.
Al
You’ll not be disappointed!

Back