• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial Kit Assembled

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will now save up my spare change, soda cans and egg money, and squander it on another of Mr. Kibler's fine kits. a colonial in .58 rifled, or maybe .58 smooth?

i doubt that my effort will be as drool- worthy as yours, however.

Revisiting your thread again and, naturally, remain in awe.
Question; I was wondering why you decided against adding a toe plate. It just crossed my mind that it would have been another wonderful opportunity to grace this masterpiece with some more of your exquisite engraving.
It’s a treat to see in pictures what must be awesome to actually see and hold.

Doggone, Dave! I should have read this before sending you those pieces! The whole kit, for that matter.

Really liked the little design you worked onto the trigger - that light crosshatch should be almost mandatory on steel triggers, as they always seem too slick compared to a brass trigger. May have to take my metal checkering files to my trigger.

And yes, indeed, Jim Kibler knocked it out of the ballpark on this "Woodsrunner" rifle - pure perfection in both design and execution.

PathfinderNC - Thanks again for the kind words. As for your question about a toe plate, I really never even thought about it while I was putting the kit together. I did think about adding a thumb piece, but because of the length of the tang carving, there was not much room between the end of the carving and the carving around the nose of the stock. Not that it needs any more decoration, but I wish I had added a toe plate. I put them on all of my scratch built rifles and I like the added protection they provide to the toe of the stock.......Next time...;)

Craig - I haven't done anything on your lock yet except to polish it a little more. If you have some additional thoughts on what you would like engraved, please let me know...:)

Again, Dave your work is fantastic, and you put us mortal peasants to shame;):ghostly::thumb::ThankYou:

That is spectacular. I’ve made a living as a woodworker for the last forty years but have never done any carving.
I wouldn’t even know where to start.
I love the engraving.
You’ve done amazing work.
What a beautiful rifle.

Last edited:
Absolutely Stunning Work, You can carve on my stuff anytime. Bravo…..

Have seen your postings and work in the cannon category and have always admired your skills and presentations. So when I drifted on to this older post about rifle building you probably can understand that a quick check was needed to see if you where one and the same. If you haven't done it before, you have now shown that your skills are just about unlimited. What a great job you have done in showing your rifle building talent. Love the picture work.

Back