• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial #6

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have started working on Colonial #6 (Kibler kit). It's also Cherry. I think I may try some new things like carving a ramrod channel molding line. There is not much wood to work with so I cant mess up and sand down to re-do it. I think I will try making a jig to run down the ramrod channel to scribe a nice straight line, and then either carve deeper into it, or else use my rifler files again.
Nonetheless, its a very enjoyable job.

Attachments

• 6 a.jpg
    6 a.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 108
You do great work! Looking forward to seeing it finished. I finally, after 2 years of owning and shooting my Kibler SMR, got up the nerve to add a toe plate. I want to scribe that line along the ramrod and bottom of buttstock but at this rate Ill be too old and blind to even start the job

I have started working on Colonial #6 (Kibler kit). It's also Cherry. I think I may try some new things like carving a ramrod channel molding line. There is not much wood to work with so I cant mess up and sand down to re-do it. I think I will try making a jig to run down the ramrod channel to scribe a nice straight line, and then either carve deeper into it, or else use my rifler files again.
Off to a good start. What are the specs on this gun? Caliber and such.

Review dave_person build...
Kibler kit assembly and carving

Wow. Wonderful understated smooth perfection. That is a class look and will become classic with time.
Thanks muzzlediscipline. I have some Cherry boards around the shop that I will start practicing some more developed scroll carvings with. So many fine examples from makers here to try to copy/emulate/learn from.

I finished the rifle assembly today and gave the stock several grain-raising treatments. Then I did a final 'sanding' with a fine 3M pad and mixed some water-base dyes to get a nice color. The first heavy application set a good hour (with a little help from my heat gun) and then I gave it a good rub-down with a fine 3M pad again and did another staining. It will set overnight and dry completely. I am not sure if I want to get it a deeper burgundy/brown yet. That might look very nice. At any rate, I will apply a little BLO for enhancement when the dye is dry and later finish it with several sessions of a light wiping varnish.
Here is how it looked in the white and at the end of the day.

Attachments

• 6 f.jpg
    6 f.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 6 g.jpg
    6 g.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 6 h.jpg
    6 h.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 6 i.jpg
    6 i.jpg