• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial .50 cal---debating on my load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several .50 caliber rifles that I have hunted with over the years . My load powder wise ,depending on which rifle , is 55-65 grains of 2f . I have a couple that use a .495 ball with a .015 patch the others like the .490 with the same patch . I have for years used Sperm oil for patch lube but am now officially out so have switched to bear thanks to the kindness of a member from another forum .

What works for my rifles will also work equally well for you , for hunting at average ML distances . It might not give absolute best accuracy though , best thing is to start with the 55 gr and work up . 55 grains kills deer just as well as 100 gr , hit in the right spot they never know the difference .

Good luck and be safe .

Thanks so much for all the replies--I'll start at 55 and work my way up to find my load--excited to get it out in the field now that it's not 110 heat index!

I also got my replacement shooting patches in and mink oil (that's a funky smell!), appreciate the heads up on that.

Back