• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler barrel vs GPR barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With muzzleloader barrels, much like the “un-mentionable” rifles, , the difference in tooling marks between many of the factory grade and custom barrels are generally quite pronounced, and the effects on accumulated fouling, cleaning, and sustained accuracy, comparable. The OP’s photo is quite representative of several of my barrels(modern and muzzleloaders) that I have bore-scoped. From a hunting/casual target accuracy standpoint there seems to be little effect given attention is paid to swabbing the accumulated fouling that is trapped by the rougher bore finish. The finer finish of the custom barrels, in my experience enable the shooter to maintain accuracy for a significantly higher number of shots between swabbing, as well as much less time/effort when cleaning. IMO.

I have a few Green Mountain barrels that have tooling marks, they still shoot well.
Kibler should have stayed with Rice barrels as their semi-radius rifling is great and shoot well too.
Good photos- shooting on paper tells what matters.

I have a few Green Mountain barrels that have tooling marks, they still shoot well.
Kibler should have stayed with Rice barrels as their semi-radius rifling is great and shoot well too.
Good photos- shooting on paper tells what matters.

unless I'm mistaken Kibler makes a custom barrel now? Or is it custom made for him by a company? On his website for the Colonial it says:
  • 43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.

unless I'm mistaken Kibler makes a custom barrel now? Or is it custom made for him by a company? On his website for the Colonial it says:
  • 43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.
IIRC, the larger bores are shipped with the bore already finished by Green Mountain; the exterior profile is then machined at Kibler to fit their stock.

Back