• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler barrel vs GPR barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The new barrel on my Kibler 58 vs the almost new barrel on my GPR 54 (has about 30 rounds through it, and today I gave it 30 passes with burgundy/brown Scotchbrite).
The GPR was bought as a NIB/NOS, made in 2001.

Just a slight difference... :rolleyes:
1623884358857.jpeg
1623884387272.jpeg

Night and day. Please share the make of your borescope. That is quite the picture!

Last edited:
Which barrle is which, and what's a GPR barrel, and what is NIB/NOS ? (sorry for being ignorant).
The Kibler is the better barrel (no surprise for me). I was a bit surprised at the pronounced machining marks on the Lyman GPR (Great Plains Rifle).

NIB is New In Box. NOS is New, Old Stock. Basically, I bought a NIB GPR a couple of years ago that was made in 2001 (been sitting in a box for a number of years). It cleaned up nice but a loading a patched ball after the 1st shot was not exactly smooth. Now I know why.

The GPR barrels on the Investarms built guns were very rough and sharp edged. Many a GPR was retired or sold off because the owner couldn't get it to shoot.

I wonder how a Kibler Rice built barrel would compare to a GM?

I don't have a bore scope but my 5 year old GPR has to be swabbed between shots or the next ball/patch will get stuck about 1/2 way down the bore. It shoots well but for huntin there is no quick follow up shot. In the shooting video done after Duelist1954 did his GPR build series he encountered the same problem and did as "Nameless Hunter" did with Scotch Bright pad. The Investearms GPR is just cheaply manufactured ( but serviceable)and it looks like to me the quality has gone down over the years . This is probably why Lyman changed suppliers.

Back