• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler ball size for .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, the Kibler SMR in 45 caliber is not done yet, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel, time to start gathering up accessories.

I have never had a .45 muzzleloader so with this Green Mountain barrel what ball sizes are working for you that have them.

Need to get a mold on order before I have a finished gun and nothing to shoot.

Thanks!

I have a 25 year old green mt barrel on my pecatonica kit built southern mountain rifle. It never did shoot well with .440s. When I went to .445 and .018 patch it shoots great. That doesn’t mean yours will though.

Last edited:
Measure the bore then subtract .010. .010 patch or possibly .015. maybe a ,020 if deep grooves. Main thing is a starting pressure that is a moderate palm strike on the starter. Pressure should be enough to get slight patch material imprint on ball.

I'd go ahead and buy .440 and .445 balls and two or three thicknesses of patches and see what shoots best in the rifle before going out and spending money on a mold. Your ideal load may vary from what others find works best for them.

Mine shoots great with a .440 ball and a heavy .021 canvas patch with 60 grains of powder. I did a lot of experimenting and had to smooth the crown up some. After about 150 shots it will shoot clover leafs at 50 yards off a rest.

My grean mounton 45 barrel likes a 440 ball .015 patch and 45 grain FFF. But each gun is different so try both .440 and .445 and see what yours will like. That is the joy of this game we always have a reason to shoot some more.

I shoot .445 with a tight patch at shoots using a range rod with my Kibler SMR green mountain bbl and .440 when I'm in the woods and want to load with the ramrod for easy loading.

Because Green Mountain rifled barrels have wide grooves and will usually use a size larger ball, a .445 will probably work well..

I will try a .440 ball first before buying a mold, most of my other guns are .010 under bore so that is a good place to start.

Thanks for the good advice! Maybe this time I will not end up with three molds for a gun when I end up only using one of them.

Mine shoots great with a .440 ball and a heavy .021 canvas patch with 60 grains of powder. I did a lot of experimenting and had to smooth the crown up some. After about 150 shots it will shoot clover leafs at 50 yards off a rest.
I got similar results with my early SMR. (Chambers lock and Green Mtn bbl)
It settled on .440” ball, .022” denim patch with 55 gns 3f

Jim answered me with .445 and .012 patch or .440 and .015-.018 patch when I asked that same question. I’ll finish my SMR any day now and find out for sure. It’s only been sitting half-finished for 2 years.

🙄
just finished my Kibler 45 SMR. What did you ever find out? I want to get a few different size balls and patches and get it sighted in and then buy a mold. Where do you recommend getting the balls and patches from?

I will try a .440 ball first before buying a mold, most of my other guns are .010 under bore so that is a good place to start.

Thanks for the good advice! Maybe this time I will not end up with three molds for a gun when I end up only using one of them.
Just finished my Kibler 45 SMR what did you end up going with for balls and patches? Whats best way to sight it in?

I just started shooting it and have less than 10 rounds down range. So far, .445 ball and .012 pillow ticking with olive oil over ~50 grains Swiss 3F looks promising. I have a cloverleaf for 3 shots at 25 yards. I have ALOT more work to do but happy so far.

keep up the great work! I have been scouring the net trying to find roundball and the different patches. Cant seem to find the .012 I found the 440 and 445 balls and the .015 and .018 patches so far. Havent ordered anything yet. Still need to find the rest of the accessories I need to goto the range

Just finished my Kibler 45 SMR what did you end up going with for balls and patches? Whats best way to sight it in?
I ended up pretty much where I thought it would be..

440 PRB with 15 thou spit patch and 50 grains of 2F, needs just a little nudge with a short starter, then it loads easy with no wiping between shots.

Won the club shoot with it a couple of weeks ago, not bad for a rifle that is not really what I believe to be "broke in" yet.

I sight in on a bench rest with a front and rear rest designed for the job, I do not follow the belief that you must hold the forearm of a ML when bench resting. Then drift the sights for windage and file for elevation.

The rifle will then shoot to the same POA if you do your part, YMMV

Last edited:
I need to get to the range but need to buy everything I need. So I think I will get the 440 and 445 and then the .012, .015, and .018 patches and try. I thought I need FFF powder for it. So far having a tough time looking online for everything.

Back