• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler 58 Finished.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful finish. And as others have mentioned, by a few incised lines well executed in the right places, really compliment the overall appearance. Don't beat yourself up on the lettering, that can be really hard to execute properly, and I think you did real well with it. Great job!

View attachment 85102

LIBERTY is for an ancestor, named Moses, who fought in the Revolutionary War, 26th Continental Infantry. Again, my first attempt at carving, the sunlight really shows where I can improve.
I like it, nice curls in the stock wood with a stain that highlights the grain. The cold blue used on your lock, then rubbed back makes for a pleasing light grey tone goes well with everything else, I'd say you've got a winner.

What are your goals for shooting it? Hunting, target shooting, both?

I like it, nice curls in the stock wood with a stain that highlights the grain. The cold blue used on your lock, then rubbed back makes for a pleasing light grey tone goes well with everything else, I'd say you've got a winner.

What are your goals for shooting it? Hunting, target shooting, both?
My goal is to wear it out before one of the grandsons gets it!!
It will reside on our farm and get shot as often as possible. Also deer hunting every year.
It is surprisingly handy for being long.

Don

The .58 has the best balance of all the Colonial model calibers.

Brooks rifle 002.JPG

Well done and a beautiful looking rifle. I'm new to the forum and I just ordered my Colonial 4 days ago. I never carved wood like this before so this will be my biggest obsticale. One question- does the brass cap at the end of the barrel attach to the barrel or to the wood? And does the wood stock end at the barrel tip? Thanks ........

Question for ya...I just recieved my Colonial rifle yesterday...(whoohooo!) , which is my first build/kit . I noticed especially on the forearm section ahead of the lock, the wood was ....washboard? ....for lack of a better word...fine raised texture in the wood. I am thinking probably due to the varying hardness of the stripes? Did you have the same? any problems sanding those out?

Well done and a beautiful looking rifle. I'm new to the forum and I just ordered my Colonial 4 days ago. I never carved wood like this before so this will be my biggest obsticale. One question- does the brass cap at the end of the barrel attach to the barrel or to the wood? And does the wood stock end at the barrel tip? Thanks ........
You wont have to worry about much carving at all...sanding, and a bit of fitting. the brass cap is to the stock. Kibler has a great series of videos online that will walk you through the build. I am just starting them, preparatory to mine. He will answer all questions within those videos.

Question for ya...I just recieved my Colonial rifle yesterday...(whoohooo!) , which is my first build/kit . I noticed especially on the forearm section ahead of the lock, the wood was ....washboard? ....for lack of a better word...fine raised texture in the wood. I am thinking probably due to the varying hardness of the stripes? Did you have the same? any problems sanding those out?
Yes it is due to the varying hardness of the growth rings. They will sand out for the most part. They will also fill in with the coats of finish/sanding as work it.

Don

Had the chance to shoot some today. Believe I have the right load and sights adjusted, except a small height adjustment. .570 ball, .020 patch- cut at muzzle, mutton tallow and bees wax. 100gr 2F.
Shots #1 & 2 were touching. #3 was totally me......:dunno:
targ2.jpg1.jpg

Back