• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler .54 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Good day all, and Merry Christmas.
Just finished a Kibler Colonial in .54. Since I already have a flinter (not Kibler) with a Colerain barrel in .54, and with a .530 ball and .015 pillow ticking works so well, was wondering if that ball/patch combo would work for the Kibler. Thought I would as those of you with the range experience with a .54 Kibler. Thanks!

I would try that, and if it is not too tight, try 0.018 patches next. If that is not working to your satisfaction, then I would go with 535 ball and 0.015 patch. Nice to keep all 530 balls though.

I just worked with a 45 caliber Kibler, and 440 balls did not work as well as the 445 balls. Mine is a recent model with Green Mountain barrel. Again, not a direct recommendation, but it was wise to find a good combo.

Good day and Merry Christmas to you!
As for the Kibler Colonial, I have a .54 cal. that is from the first vintage of the Kibler Colonials. Mine has a Rice barrel and it shoots well with a a .530 ball and a .015 patch. However, I also just finished a Woodsrunner in .54 cal. that has the Green Mountain barrel, and with a .530 ball I need to use a .020 patch to get good performance. I am going to try a .535 ball and .015 patch as soon as I get the molds for that size. Check and see if you have a Green Mountain barrel or Rice barrel. I like my Colonial and it shoots real well. It is just a little too heavy for me to carry around the woods hunting. At age 70 I prefer a lighter gun, hence I got the Woodsrunner.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I have both .015 and ,918 patch material. Once I get it to the range, will try both.

Good day all, and Merry Christmas.
Just finished a Kibler Colonial in .54. Since I already have a flinter (not Kibler) with a Colerain barrel in .54, and with a .530 ball and .015 pillow ticking works so well, was wondering if that ball/patch combo would work for the Kibler. Thought I would as those of you with the range experience with a .54 Kibler. Thanks!
Yes. While I shoot a 58cal Colonial, my buddy has a Colonial in 54 cal. He has gotten excellent results using a .530 LRB with .015” patches.

Art Caputo, will you tell me what the physical weight of your .58 cal Colonial is? Just wondering the differance between the .54 cal and the .58 cal Colonials.

My .58 colonial weighed 8.6lbs. The difference between the two calibers is in the balance. It felt heavy until it was shouldered. Then it felt great.
I used .562s in it and a .020 patch. Easy loading and just as accurate. .526s in the .54s.

Last edited:
Well, 8.5 lbs is 8.5 lbs, no matter where it’s located when lugging it around the woods..I understand that balance is important when shouldering it…a sling may be a possibility.
That is a fact indeed to consider for carry. I just added that comment for some newer folks who might read this without considering that weight between the hands can also be beneficial and discount a heavier rifle for the wrong reasons. That said, if I were to go with the "Colonial" it would be in .58 ; )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back