• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler 50 cal colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI MAN

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a 50 cal kibler colonial rifle that I put together from a kit. I was curious if anyone else has this rifle in the same caliber. If so can you reply back on the following questions:
1 powder manufacturer
2 optimum charge for 100 yards
3 ball size
4 patch type
5 patch thickness

Thanks

1. whatever is available i your area a great starting point
2. whatever the rifle likes (50-70 grains most likely?)
3. .490 or .495 is the most widely used
4. Cotton. Many like pillow ticking.
5. whatever the rifle likes

Range time my friend :D

IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

Nice looking gun.
Ya know, when it come to accuracy, it's all about the lube.;)

I have a 50 cal kibler colonial rifle that I put together from a kit. I was curious if anyone else has this rifle in the same caliber. If so can you reply back on the following questions:
1 powder manufacturer
2 optimum charge for 100 yards
3 ball size
4 patch type
5 patch thickness

Thanks
You should know that what works well for one person and his rifle may work for you or may not. As azmntman points out, its your personal load development that will determine the optimum load for your rifle. So much depends on the bore diameter, groove depth, powder charge, ball size, patch thickness and patch lubrication. Not to mention, the condition of the bore when you shoot. And I should mention variation in the weight of the ball.

One of the challenges and joys of muzzle loading rifle accuracy is developing the load to wring the most accuracy from your rifle for the purpose you intend to use it. I have had good results from 75 grains of 3fg GOEX powder pushing a 0.495" diameter pure lead ball wrapped in 0.017" thick cotton drill lubricated with a mix of 1 part Ballistol and 7 parts of water. I use black English flints to generate lots of sparks. I wipe between shots with an alcohol dampened diaper flannel cloth cleaning patch between shots.

You have made a beautiful rifle. Take the time to bring the best performance out of your rifle.

Thanks for the information.

I found the best accuracy with 0.495 round ball and 0.020 oxyoke patches. With this combination I have good accuracy with up to 70 grains of Swiss 2f at 50 yards. At 100 yards I found I need to drop charge between 55 and 60 grains to be able to have an accuracy that is satisfactory for me. I never used 3f powder since I was following the guidance on the rice barrel website (max 80 grains 2f).

Everyone will tell you about the same, 60-100 grains and I bet 70-75 most common. What ever you do don’t look at ballistic tables until after you have dropped a deer or two. They look pretty anemic compared to a 30/30. A 70 grain charge will blow clean through a good sized mule deer chest at approx a hundred yards and it won’t take but a few steps.

He better shoot it in the field.I just can’t stand to here those people say you don’t need to shoot that gun or to hunt with it cause it’s just to nice . I got some guns that r pretty old but they still look new . I’m buying a 12 gauge shot gun that’s a 630.00 gun never been fired . Well on the third of April it’ll loose it’s cherry . I’m a hoping to use it for the April turkey hunting season

Nice Job MI Man. I also just finished the same Kibler Colonial rifle and the figuring in the stock looks almost identical to your's. The kit was fun to build and with the CNC machining required very little adjustment for the hardware. It was my first build and Jim and Katherine were super to deal with. We're moving to TN shortly so it'll be fun to shoot it.
It would be nice if they also offered pistol kits. Maybe some day.

Latest posts

Back