Kibler .45 cal SMR build

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Eric Krewson

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful job, I love the color! I did a similar small parts browning job on a Tn rifle build.

Some guy (JERK) on here made a point to scold me and inform me that I made the parts "too" brown and had done it all wrong.

Does this look "too" brown? If course I know it isn't, after all, I made it to suit me.

squirrel rifle done 008.JPG

Big Bubba

32 Cal
Reaction score
Beautiful job, I love the color! I did a similar small parts browning job on a Tn rifle build.

Some guy (JERK) on here made a point to scold me and inform me that I made the parts "too" brown and had done it all wrong.

Does this look "too" brown? If course I know it isn't, after all, I made it to suit me.

View attachment 72553
I think it looks great. I love the browned look myself. I browned a rifle 25 years ago and it is the most durable finish I've seen. It has held up better than any of my modern blued guns.

painter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking good! Can't wait to see yours finished. :thumb:

I wish every computer was the same wrt color reproduction. Your parts almost look black on my screen. I'm torn between brown, and an antique finish for my build.

Big Bubba

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking good! Can't wait to see yours finished. :thumb:

I wish every computer was the same wrt color reproduction. Your parts almost look black on my screen. I'm torn between brown, and an antique finish for my build.
It's hard get colors to come out right on the computer. They are definitely not black, it is a deep reddish brown like you would see on very old steel tools. I thought about doing the antique finish (rubbed back bluing, etc.), but decided on something more durable. Especially in easter North Carolina where you can stare at something and it will rust.

painter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It's hard get colors to come out right on the computer. They are definitely not black, it is a deep reddish brown like you would see on very old steel tools. I thought about doing the antique finish (rubbed back bluing, etc.), but decided on something more durable. Especially in easter North Carolina where you can stare at something and it will rust.
I hear that. It isn't too humid here in the north, but I have toxic sweat. Decisions... :doh: 😁

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The browning job is good as it gets. What makes it good is , it's what YOU like. Folks that say something has to be a certain color , or the finish has to have a given look need to look at more old guns . There are almost limitless choices , especially concerning stock wood, style of a gun, and finish. .......... oldwood

Big Bubba

32 Cal
Reaction score
The browning job is good as it gets. What makes it good is , it's what YOU like. Folks that say something has to be a certain color , or the finish has to have a given look need to look at more old guns . There are almost limitless choices , especially concerning stock wood, style of a gun, and finish. .......... oldwood
Thanks!

Big Bubba

32 Cal
Reaction score
Finished the rifle today. Two coats of Kibler's iron nitrate with a coat of Trans-tint amber in between. Then used Jim Chambers Stock finish. The color came out a wonderful rich dark color, as seen in the full view pictures, but when the sunlight hits it the curl stands out.
IMG_0200.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg
IMG_0203.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg
IMG_0205.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg

Latest posts