• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler’s “In the white” service

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a "in the white" 45 SMR yesterday. I talked to the nice lady, and it seemed I just need a couple sheets of sand paper, and finish goop.
I ordered Jax black for barrel, aquafortis for maple stock, and a range rod. I have Formbys tung oil, and may need a alcohol dye depending on the wood color. I'll fire blue small parts.
Bill was 2000.00. It comes assembled.
Due to drying, I guess it will be ready to shoot in a week if all goes well.
I don't anticipate any "building", just buff off the raised grain, and finish the metal.
It ships today, and they are the next state over, so I guess it will be here Friday.
I think 700 is a fair amount of cash to get it done the right way. I expect it to be better than I could muster. Personallly, I don't want a project, I just wanted a lighter rifle to hunt. Season opens in 2 weeks, so my knees think it is a good idea for a lighter rifle.

Was wondering if anyone has used Kibler’s $700 “In the White” service?
If so, what is your opinion?
I've seen two in the white,mine and my friends. They were both incredible. I'm pretty critical, I could find no fault. I'm going to start final sanding with 320 grit paper and there will be very little of that. I'll go from that to 600 and then finish with 2000. there will be some whisker raising between grades. So far I'm very pleased.

I ordered a "in the white" 45 SMR yesterday. I talked to the nice lady, and it seemed I just need a couple sheets of sand paper, and finish goop.
I ordered Jax black for barrel, aquafortis for maple stock, and a range rod. I have Formbys tung oil, and may need a alcohol dye depending on the wood color. I'll fire blue small parts.
Bill was 2000.00. It comes assembled.
Due to drying, I guess it will be ready to shoot in a week if all goes well.
I don't anticipate any "building", just buff off the raised grain, and finish the metal.
It ships today, and they are the next state over, so I guess it will be here Friday.
I think 700 is a fair amount of cash to get it done the right way. I expect it to be better than I could muster. Personallly, I don't want a project, I just wanted a lighter rifle to hunt. Season opens in 2 weeks, so my knees think it is a good idea for a lighter rifle.
TerryK, thanks for that. Looking forward to any updates you may have as well. I hope you enjoy your rifle!

I ordered a .40 SMR with extra fancy maple. Started looking around and noted the time to clean tph garage for a place to work, the fact I would have to order many tools I dont have then the fact I have not done this type stuff for so long. Panicked and called em and was able to change the extra fancy for standard Maple and applied the savings to in the white.

Well I have no complaints at all. I will say it will be a much longer time to get it, mine was MONTHS but as I was advised Jim did it his self I was happy to wait. It arrived and blew me away. I could NOT have done the job he did. I still have yet to dis assemble and finish. Its soooo nice I am itimidated to do even that. The stock line around the barrel are super thin and precise. I will be ordering a .54 or .58 colonial smooth bore next and will get Cherry and IN THE WHITE! Well worth the $700.00. I will also start working on my confidence by building simpler kits (Traditions etc) and redoing some stocks and barrels then when he offers a Trade Rifle may be I will try to do myself.

If yer in no hurry you will be blown away.

I ordered a .40 SMR with extra fancy maple. Started looking around and noted the time to clean tph garage for a place to work, the fact I would have to order many tools I dont have then the fact I have not done this type stuff for so long. Panicked and called em and was able to change the extra fancy for standard Maple and applied the savings to in the white.

Well I have no complaints at all. I will say it will be a much longer time to get it, mine was MONTHS but as I was advised Jim did it his self I was happy to wait. It arrived and blew me away. I could NOT have done the job he did. I still have yet to dis assemble and finish. Its soooo nice I am itimidated to do even that. The stock line around the barrel are super thin and precise. I will be ordering a .54 or .58 colonial smooth bore next and will get Cherry and IN THE WHITE! Well worth the $700.00. I will also start working on my confidence by building simpler kits (Traditions etc) and redoing some stocks and barrels then when he offers a Trade Rifle may be I will try to do myself.

If yer in no hurry you will be blown away.
Very good insight and information- thank you!

It came in one day through USPS.
I would say it is excellent.
Wood is 99%, I guess it needs the grain raised and cleaned up, but really no sanding. Fit with metal parts is excellent.
Barrel is filed, but has lots of swirl. I think that would be good if it were to be aged. I will wet sand it, and maybe that would take an hour at most. I wanted to get the bottom flats also to prevent rust. The rest of the metal looks complete.
Certainly this is an A1 in the white assembly. I have no regrets.

So I think an assortment pack of wet/dry sand paper, a pack of scotch brite, is about what I'll use.
Naturally I bought Jax Black for barrel, Aqufotis for "stain", and I have Formbys Tung oil for finish. Depending on the color, I might add some alcohol dye before tung oil. I have propane torch to fire blue small parts. It they don't look cool, then they get the Jax Black too. Depending on how the metal parts look, will steer the wood coloring. I'm thinking I want darker, but I'll have to see the colors as they evolve.

It comes assembled. so a person can get a feel for how it holds. Again excellent. For the length, it is very light, and balances at the rear sight (in 45). On my food scale it is 6 pounds 1 ounce.

Naturally I just got a cold/flu today, and the same cold knocked my wife down for a week. So I guess it is my turn to be sick. Depending on my cold, I guess it will only take a few days to finish. Most of that will be drying time.

Early muzzle loader season for deer comes in on Oct 15, so I imagine this rifle will be in the woods for that.

Well I am a bit sick, but trying to make progress. I guess I have 4 hours into it maybe.
That does not count drying time and prepping/clean up the area.
Unfortunately my Formbys tung oil went bad and gelled in the can. So I spent the morning finding a substitute. I settled on Min Wax Tung oil. Seems to be about the same stuff.
I applied that after last nights 2 coats of aquafortis. My wood is light so it sucked that stuff up. It turned out brown, I was hoping for some more red, but that is what nature had in mind. I wanted dark, and that is what I got. I thought of walnut husks for tanic acid, but it is plenty dark, so no need for that.
I'll let that dry overnight, and it will get a second oil coat tomorrow.
I'll also blacken the barrel and fire blue small parts. That should take an hour. I may not fire finish the lock now, I don't have the time, and I kinda need rest and range time before next Saturday deer season. My wife will be home, and I am told to rest.

I used one sheet of 400 w/d, one sheet 1200w/d, 4 inch square of scotchbrite-like steel wool.

Depends on what a person counts as work time, but for me it is closer to 4 hours than 8 hours, and spread out over 3 days. Very easy.

Random pics

Attachments

• IMG_5170.jpg
    IMG_5170.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5160.jpg
    IMG_5160.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5164.jpg
    IMG_5164.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5165.jpg
    IMG_5165.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 0
I wanted a dull finish, and so far it is dull. I'll sand/buff tomorrow, and add another coat.
I don't know how many coats, I guess 3-4. Minwax says wait a day between coats. So I guess I can shoot it Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

• IMG_5167.jpg
    IMG_5167.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5170.jpg
    IMG_5170.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 0
Barrel took a while to get out the file marks. It cleaned up nice with 400 w/d.
Other hardware was in about same condition. I used 400 then 1200 on the trigger guard and small hardware. I guess the lock is bead blasted.

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 0
Barrel took a while to get out the file marks. It cleaned up nice with 400 w/d.
Other hardware was in about same condition. I used 400 then 1200 on the trigger guard and small hardware. I guess the lock is bead blasted.
Thanks TerryK - very nice to see. Stock is looking great! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Latest posts

Back