• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky stock design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I'm putting together the traditions Kentucky percussion kit. I'm working on the stock and had someone suggest that I should taper the stock towards the barrel. It comes with about an 1/8th of an inch excess off of the barrel. My question is should I sand this down to a nice taper toward the barrel or is it more "period correct" to leave it flat? I'm hand sanding everything so not sure I want to take on extra wood removal, but I do want it to look mostly "period correct". I am aware that by having 2 pieces of stock it is not very "period correct " to begin with.
15903733888828624717596959263893.jpg

The forearm should be tapered down to the barrel. The cap has more of a flat on top then it should so if you thin that down and keep that edge all the back that will allow a more rounded forearm. That top edge on period correct is a knife edge, but you have to work with what you have. Would you like a picture?

The forearm should be tapered down to the barrel. The cap has more of a flat on top then it should so if you thin that down and keep that edge all the back that will allow a more rounded forearm. That top edge on period correct is a knife edge, but you have to work with what you have. Would you like a picture?
Would love a pic! This whole thing is very new to me.

So I'm putting together the traditions Kentucky percussion kit. I'm working on the stock and had someone suggest that I should taper the stock towards the barrel. It comes with about an 1/8th of an inch excess off of the barrel. My question is should I sand this down to a nice taper toward the barrel or is it more "period correct" to leave it flat? I'm hand sanding everything so not sure I want to take on extra wood removal, but I do want it to look mostly "period correct". I am aware that by having 2 pieces of stock it is not very "period correct " to begin with.View attachment 32361
Some people have found ways to get rid of the split stock brass piece. I believe that I saw a post in the forum.

Thanks all, looks like the thickness of my cap may be somewhat of a limiting feature. I'll try and taper it in a bit along with the stock to get a "thinner" appearance where it meets the barrel. I'm not really concerned with making a "period correct " weapon. This is my first muzzle loader and I'm more looking just to make a nice looking serviceable weapon that honors the original. I'm also planning on doing some wood burning on the stock which would definitely not be period correct, but will add to its uniqueness IMHO. Thanks again for all the replies.

Back