• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Pistol That I put togther

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen the need to shoot anything other than patched ball in any gun I've owned. As for caps, I may get called on this but never have I found any real difference between all the various brands. I just use what comes along.

Just my opinion but, these old style pistols were made for offense and defense against other men and occasionally as a last resort for gathering food.

Against men and small game they worked rather well but I seriously doubt that they were used to shoot deer on a regular basis.

My dad taught me to never use a underpowered gun to shoot animals which explains why I would never think of shooting a deer with a .22 RF or even a .22 RF magnum.
For the same reason, I would never shoot a deer with a black powder pistol unless it was to put down a already shot deer at point blank range.

like I said in other posting I shot this pistol!

However, It never hit any of the targets that I set up out on the field. I believe my bad luck had to deal with the trigger pull. So I took it back home with me and adjusted the trigger pull. Now I'm waiting for the next day that I can shoot it.

you should fire off a steady rest to check ther sights alignment and adjust to zero as neccesary.
I use a capper pistol as my 'trekking' gun but it's a .54 smoothbore.
I don't consider it suitable for deer 'hunting' (not legal either in NC) but if neccesary and close shot I know the prb has the power for a humane kill. I load #5 shot and have taken small game and grouse.

my sights are fixed. There is no way to adjust them. However, My trigger pull was way too heavy. So I adjusted it.

I'll let you know on the 25th or 27th of September.

Latest posts

Back