• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kentucky or Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmanbeene

32 Cal
Reaction score
Getting ready to order a new kit gun from Traditions , not sure if I want a Kentucky or Hawken. I had an old Kentucky rifle .45 cal. Will be getting a .50 . I have shot the Hawken but not enough to make a good comparison. Will be hunting and maybe some competition shooting.

Personal preference here, up to you. I made a home built gun, not rifle that is about half and half from a replica Hawkin and an original shotgun. Nope it wasn't pretty, but shoots well. The customer was happy.

Its what you want. If you want a Kentucky and want a kit that will make a traditional rifle that is shaped like a real PA/KY or even a Southern Mountain Rifle you might look to Kibler. Chambers kits are top of the line as well. You might look to the The Hawken Shop or Don Stiths kits which are based on originals and will make a real Hawken. The Traditions thing is not a Hawken its a knockoff of the Thompson Center which was not a Hawken either.

The Kentucky will make a decent fullstock if you put the time into finishing it.
20190730_212007.jpg

Seeing how you too are from Colorado, I suggest staying away from the slow twist kentucky as you will now have to use a conical bullet during muzzleloader season for elk and moose. New rule change in 2018 where the book smart fellows thought they were being smart. The 1:48 twist Traditions St.Louis Hawken is an excellent round ball and conical shooter. Its my personal choice. She'll also sling a 395gr lyman plains bullet well under 2" at 100 yards. Perfect for elk due to the rule change.

Not a dumb question. The event is the annual convention combined with annual elections and a trade show. Members can have a table for free to sell or swap their stuff. Entry is free for anyone who wishes to attend.

A trade blanket shoot is where each shooter brings a prize of approximate equal value and they are all placed on a blanket each shooter gets to choose a prize off the blanket based on score. Everybody wins something. they are a lot of fun.

Sometimes the event sponsor buys all the prizes giving the better shots first pick at better items. They are a lot of fun, that's where half my gear came from. From guns to powder measures.

Like C6 says, a blanket shoot is great fun. One of the best that I have seen is put on by the Buckhorn Skinners near Fort Collins, CO. They don't use a blanket, but rather a table but it's all the same.

It's done at their annual "squirrel Shoot" held in April. There are special prizes for event winners and the loot on the table is selected by all the shooters in the order in which they registered for the shoot. Great fun!

https://www.buckhornskinners.com/

Latest posts

Back