• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeps calling to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in Nebraska in the area of old Fort Kearney in the south central part of the state. It was said the soldiers would practice shooting their revolvers at telegraph poles at a full gallop. Now we don't know the distance so it might have been a few feet or some yards. Either way a good shot if you can do it. The telegraph poles tells us this would have been after time we cover here, but still interesting.

There was no telegraph in that area in the MLF-relevant period?

Sweet. Have you shot it much ? Dumb question I know but what's it shoot like- the trigger, aiming downrange, all that stuff ?
I’ve shot this revolver quite a bit and I really enjoy carrying it, which I do a good bit during hunting season etc, it’s very accurate and has been totally reliable, it stays loaded continuously and I grab it when I’m out and about on my place, the gun handles and aims very good in the hand, the only awkwardness I could really point out is in the actual cocking of the revolver, with my other bp revolvers I flip them up and cock on the way back down, with no trigger guard it takes a little different technique, you don’t realize how much you use the trigger guard until you don’t have one, being a Uberti copy it’s a fine built gun, the loading lever is a nice addition, I have no experience with the model with the separate loading tool and it seems a bit cumbersome to reload in a hurry I’d imagine, I’ve had mine apart many times and it’s not all that bad.

There was no telegraph in that area in the MLF-relevant period?
I didn't look it up but have now. Fort Kearney was the western terminus of the transcontinental telegraph at the time of the pony express and the transcontinental telegraph was completed in 1861, so within our time frame. I don't know when the army would have issued revolvers to troops, but probably sometime during the CW.

Love that Paterson.

The simple lack of a loading lever shouldn't bother anyone who has chosen to shoot a caplock in the first place. Personally I think it would be more fun. If not, get a S&W .38

I have a pair of Piata Patersons that I bought used. I have been looking at having a wood case made for them but haven't found anyone that is interested in doing it so I will most likely do it myself. I have also been looking for a Uberti with the loading lever to add to the ones I have. I can't see why Uberti doesn't bring the Paterson revolvers back as the profit margin should be high considering the prices they are selling for even as used guns.

ThreeCrows

Fort Kearney was the western terminus of the transcontinental telegraph at the time of the pony express and the transcontinental telegraph was completed in 1861, so within our time frame.

I wondered if that were the case. I think perhaps people don't realise how early telegraph started and spread.

The success of sales of the Paterson should be a clue about the practically of the gun.
My thought is the Paterson was a proof on concept revolver but the first practical revolver was the 1847 Walker cumbersome and oversize it was.
I will take my1851, 1860, or 1861 Colts any-day but that is just me.
just sayin'
Make smoke
Bunk.

Back