• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeps calling to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43911

45 Cal.
Reaction score
1836_PATERSON 2.jpg

Awesome looking gun, had one with loading lever and sold it a few years ago. Any other Paterson fans out there? At one point I think there was a repro done in .31 (32) but can't remember the maker.

Yes, Nice looking gun with a nice long barrel that Patt. Went to Dixie GW on a buying trip and considered the Patt. for the Colt Div. at U.S. Championships Considering the long barrel may be an edge. Apon handling I learned how important a trigger guard is for a good grip. looks great but awkward grip...c

Love those Paterson. I have loading levers on mine. If Mr. Paterson keeps calling, maybe it’s time you answered the phone...:dunno::cool::doh:

I've just recently taken an interest in the Paterson. I was researching it some just last night. It appears Uberti discontinued it from their lineup fairly recently, but there are rumored to be a few of them still available, if you can find them. Pietta is still making the Paterson in plain and fancy versions. They ain't cheap... I think EMF wants $780 for theirs. Jedediah Starr charges considerably less, but there is a common belief that some importers get better guns than others, from the same manufacturers. I don't know if that's true. If it is, the extra cost might be justified.

Reviews of the Pietta Paterson were generally pretty good. However, the "loading tool" was considered junk by most of the reviewers. Most said it broke after minimal use. That little cylinder loading gadget pictured in B P Arn's post (above) looks like the smart way to go. Also, that holster looks great!

There is a chapter on the Paterson in Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates' book on percussion handguns, but the book is now somewhat dated, and they were shooting a Uberti. They indicated disassembling and reassembling the Paterson is a major undertaking.

I would appreciate it if knowledgeable shooters would comment about the Pietta Paterson... Tips, recommendations, loading, shooting, and cleaning info... Anything pertinent that you're willing to share.

Notchy Bob

Mine was made by Pietta. It was another "Pig in a Poke" purchase that turned out great for me. The owner said it was trashed, including the barrel, which he said did not fit the frame properly. A previous owner had antiqued the finish, then dry fired it until the nipples were completely ruined.

I got it very cheap, yet it turned out to be like new inside! The SN on the barrel matched the frame, so I don't know why the guy thought it was a mis-match. The gun had probably never been actually fired, and the inside of the barrel and cylinders were like new, once I got the dirt and dried oil out of there. A new set of nipples and it was ready to fire.

Mine is as accurate as the shooter. It shoots about 8" high at 25 yards. It is a little strange to operate and shoot, as with no trigger guard it is nearly impossible to cock one-handed. Once it is cocked, it is mostly like shooting any other gun.

Loading it is very slow, as you must remove the barrel and the cylinder. A loading stand is essential, in my experience. I found mine on the internet for $35 IIRC. The caps must be installed before re-assembly, which is clearly dangerous if you are the kind of guy that can't focus on the task at hand. I always load all 5 chambers, and always use caution when loading and handling it, as should be the case with any firearm anyway.

This is the only BP gun I have that I do not completely disassemble to clean. I take off the grips, remove the main spring, the hammer and hand, and the mechanism that goes behind the cylinder (I can't remember the name) to rotate it. Then I put what's left in warm soapy water and scrub whatever I can and rinse it off well. Repeat once or twice more. After that I blow it dry with compressed air, squirt it down with Ballistol, blow it off again with compressed air, and reassemble. I never have had a hint of corrosion using this method.

Those are the main points to consider that I can think of at the moment.

Here are a few more pictures...
100_5771.JPG

100_5773 (2).JPG

Here is a reproduction of the original 5-at-once powder dispenser;
100_6708.JPG

100_6709.JPG

Loaded and capped, and ready to fire;
20191225_135700.jpg

Thank you, B P Arn. That was exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find. I appreciate your taking the time and putting in the effort that went into your post!

I would like to commend your photography skills, too. Excellent images!

Notchy Bob

I have to say I don't know how anyone controlled/ handled this gun on horseback!
Badly, would probably be the answer... course that’s true of any but the closest range shooting from horseback. One of the worst moviemakers mistakes is having the hero shooting and hitting (anything but the ground) from a full gallop.

I grew up in Nebraska in the area of old Fort Kearney in the south central part of the state. It was said the soldiers would practice shooting their revolvers at telegraph poles at a full gallop. Now we don't know the distance so it might have been a few feet or some yards. Either way a good shot if you can do it. The telegraph poles tells us this would have been after time we cover here, but still interesting.

I don't doubt the truth of that, cavalry soldiers would have to have exemplary horse skills in the first place but.. have you ever seen even decent riders in the saddle at a canter, or even a walk ? Aiming pistol while a horse is moving is horse skills taken to another level.
As to the Paterson I'm completely lost. The trigger guard anchors the Colt in place espeically while in motion. Without a trigger guard and atop a moving horse it must've been like balancing a tea cup and saucer on the end of your hand.

I grew up in Nebraska in the area of old Fort Kearney in the south central part of the state. It was said the soldiers would practice shooting their revolvers at telegraph poles at a full gallop. Now we don't know the distance so it might have been a few feet or some yards. Either way a good shot if you can do it. The telegraph poles tells us this would have been after time we cover here, but still interesting.

Last edited:
I don't doubt the truth of that, cavalry soldiers would have to have exemplary horse skills in the first place but.. have you ever seen even decent riders in the saddle at a canter, or even a walk ? Aiming pistol while a horse is moving is horse skills taken to another level.
As to the Paterson I'm completely lost. The trigger guard anchors the Colt in place espeically while in motion. Without a trigger guard and atop a moving horse it must've been like balancing a tea cup and saucer on the end of your hand.

Keep in mind the Paty was the first.

Latest posts

Back