• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Keeping ramrods supple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why we have this discussion every couple of weeks.
Let's be serious. We're shoving a little lead ball down a ½" pipe.
How SUPPLE do they really need to be?

Dane said:
I don't understand why we have this discussion every couple of weeks.
Would you rather be talking about what the best lube is? Best cleaner? Best patch?

Lesser of two weevils...maybe. :grin:

Spence

Dane said:

The secret to a supple rod is to stroke it vigorously before use, the heat created by the friction will soften the lignin in the wood and make the rod bend easier.....

Seriously......:grin:

to: everyone in general

when I was 12 I rammed one against a tree several times thinking it had short seated.
after watching me do this my grinning Dad informed me that i'd double charged it.
not having a ball puller, when I asked him what I should do, he suggested I "shoot it out".

never found the nipple that zinged past my ear, OR the front half of the hammer that broke free.

have paid much better attention to what i'm doing ever since.

Colorado Clyde said:
Dane said:

The secret to a supple rod is to stroke it vigorously before use, the heat created by the friction will soften the lignin in the wood and make the rod bend easier.....

Seriously......:grin:

Interesting how some threads seem to take on a life even though all that can be said on the subject has been said repeatedly. I find it curious some want their rods supple but eschew Delrin because it is....uuuhh....supple. :slap:

Rifleman1776 said:
Interesting how some threads seem to take on a life even though all that can be said on the subject has been said repeatedly. I find it curious some want their rods supple but eschew Delrin because it is....uuuhh....supple. :slap:

Yep!...Somewhere, sometime, long ago, someone told a newbie that their ramrod should bend. .....

Ya know what a ramrod does right before it breaks?...it bends.... :wink:

I want my ramrods to be a bit supple, but only as a safeguard in case I unintentionally put sideways pressure on it. I never bend it on purpose.

Spence

Back