• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Keeping Muzzleloading Alive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Dave is right here. Many kids are constantly outdoors and love to go hunting, fishing or hiking. Given a chance many would be very interested in traditional muzzleloading. It takes the right kind of person to teach kids. It’s true, some kids are lazy however is that because the kid is really lazy or because that kid is surrounded by lazy adults that refuse to put in the time and effort that proper instruction requires? Writing off a whole generation won’t do us or the kids any favors.

As I see it most Kids arent rural or learning to be self sufficient anymore, they're big town /city and want to be entertained not challenged; its all about shoot em up video games etc.

Am I going to waste my too finite resources and BP shooting time on trying to inspire and educate someone elses problem child ? NOPE.

As for the Scout movement they went PC /Woke and closed out the Shooting element so theyre already a lost cause.
Seriously WTH should we be wasting our days/months/years on an already lost generation ?

That said thankfully theres a goodly chunk of rural country kids who have been/ are being raised by like minded parents, my thoughts are focus on them because at least theyre already receptive and actively orientated in the right direction.

Its no surprise is it?
The planned breakup of the traditional family. Enrollment in government indoctranation centers cleverly called public schools, to be taught by degenerates that their parents are evil and to be despised. On top of that, parents who let television raise their children instead of spending time with them.
We reap what we sow. Time to pay the piper. I know they're are exceptions but thats the way it is for many people these days. I can only imagine what my father would have done to them if any of my teachers tried to teach me the manure being taught to our young impressionable children today.
My old man was as tough as nails and when I fouled up I paid the price. Thanks Pop for being there for me and my brothers when we needed you, I know it wasn't easy but you did your job even if we didn't like it.
Horse

I believe that the point is we were brought up by parents who endured the great depression and were veterans of WW2, The Greatest Generation.
They embedded in us the unassailable values of hard work, ethos, morality and utter loyalty to Wife and family.
Thankfully many of us latter day Veterans hold true to that, and theres the hope of our future generations.

If people ever wonder where kids learn their disrespectful tongues they need only view some of the comments made on this forum at times. Age doesn't always lead to wisdom.

I'm not a kid but I'm 31, I've not met anyone within 20 years of my age shooting BP in Australia. I do know one thing though as a budding BP enthusiast excited to get my first flint rifle I was contacted by an older shooter through an ad i was running. I explained my age and enthusiasm and he said it was great to see a young person into the sport. He then went on to sell me a flinter that wouldn't ignite in a fart factory. Could have easily turned any young/new shooter away from the sport, didn't seem to bother him none.

If people ever wonder where kids learn their disrespectful tongues they need only view some of the comments made on this forum at times. Age doesn't always lead to wisdom.

I'm not a kid but I'm 31, I've not met anyone within 20 years of my age shooting BP in Australia. I do know one thing though as a budding BP enthusiast excited to get my first flint rifle I was contacted by an older shooter through an ad i was running. I explained my age and enthusiasm and he said it was great to see a young person into the sport. He then went on to sell me a flinter that wouldn't ignite in a fart factory. Could have easily turned any young/new shooter away from the sport, didn't seem to bother him none.

Then make your words worthy and proceed to prove it all through action, get back to us with an update in 2 to 5 years time.

The kids of today! It seems adults have been lamenting the next generation for a long time…
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates

Well we have a range of replies-

Starting with "I hate kids" going to "I'm not wasting my time" to more anecdotes of "kids today". With those attitudes, THINGS WILL NOT CHANGE.

Like I said, this is a long haul. Just like planting and tending an orchard, you will likely not see the fruits of your labors within your lifetime but plant enough and tend enough, then generations to follow will benefit. Those of you who have a negative opinion are part of this problem.

I think the Scout movement has forgotten it's origins in Ladysmith. Think Daden-Powell and the local "colonial" youths "Scouting" for him and his troops..the after the problem staying groups as friends.
In UK we have many Country Game Fairs which have Clay lines. Some times Organized Muzzle Loaders Branches are asked to run a Have-a-go Stand at the end of the line. There is always a queue--
Grandpas,Dads,Wives and Kids wanting to try a Musket.They are usually "enlightened"coming back for Another Go but we often find new Members .. Been to a lot..OLD DOG..

The kids of today! It seems adults have been lamenting the next generation for a long time…

Socrates
There truly is nothing new under the sun. Every generation seems to look down upon the ones that follow. This has been the way for ages. Good Quote! Shows the error in that kind of thinking.

I’m currently in college, and I got into muzzleloading on my own within the last 2 years. It is possible for others to find their way in without any help, but it’s getting rarer by the day. I’ll be taking 3 of my coworkers and my brother shooting with my muzzleloaders over the next month, and we’re all excited about it. Sure we ain’t kids, but we’re definitely still young enough to pick up the hobby and enjoy it!

As a former newbie, it was way easier getting into this hobby when the members on this forum answered questions, even if my questions were dumb. I really appreciate that and feel that I can confidently pass on information on muzzleloading to new people.

To those of y’all saying you hate kids and don’t want to bother teaching them because they are “disrespectful” and lack an attention span, YOU will be responsible if muzzleloading dies. There is no excuse to say screw it and give up, unless you’re physically unable to. I’m sure when y’all were children y’all were difficult as well, THATS THE NATURE OF BEING A CHILD. Anything worth teaching or passing on will be difficult, and there’s no way to ensure that it’ll stick with today’s children, but at least an effort will have been made to preserve our passion.

I am in vermont our traditional family values are being flushed down the toilet by the woke liberals moving here from the city's. They make us out to be hillbillies. On the other hand I would say the vermont youth today has no interest in traditional equipment, inlines only and only for the one week of ml season. The gun shops were literally throwing away sidelocks anything traditional, granted that was ten years ago. Also Vermont legalized crossbows for every inbred white trash kid and his twisted tea drinking daddy. None of the youth want to try traditional archery equipment they get crossbow and drive around until they spot a deer and shoot them from the truck. This can be corroborated at R and L archery and Vermont Fish and Game. My take on this is our society is fucked thanks to the entitlement I want it now and deserve it now attitude.
You touch on a good point. I personally do not know anyone who hunts with a longbow or recurve but my father and I. You won’t find any supplies in stores for traditional archery either. Have to order it. Many guys shooting compounds have moved to the crossbow, both of which take very little skill compared to a traditional archery. As for muzzleloading, hunting does play an important role in keeping it alive as there’s a part of deer season dedicated to it.

Even so…I personally believe those of us who pass down traditional muzzleloading will help keep it alive for generations to come. It may never become as popular as pizza or tv but the knowledge and skill will be passed on. Many like myself find our way here on our own accord. As long as we don’t discourage and help those that need it, the sport will be safe.

Can agree myself. Until they are 15-20 years old or so.

This is often true between fathers and sons...

INDIANA JONES.jpg

LD

I see a lot of people here writing about the decline in culture. While the subject is about teaching the next generation about traditional muzzle loading I do see the valid parallels to the decline in traditional values. In a way the struggle is very much the same as a Church whose membership is getting older and few young people if any are joining. Yes it is evident that those running many of the big businesses from the media are promoting messages that are worldly and destructive to say the least. Many take the position of just arm chair quarter backing or pray to be raptured. Praying is good but we shouldn't be passive. We should be actively trying to teach people about tradition. Whether it is religion, farming, shooting guns, archery, etc. The enemy will always be there until the end of days, that's nothing new. We can peacefully fight back by reaching out to the next generation and helping them by teaching them useful skills like I mentioned a few sentences prior. This battle is fought with words, ideas, and prayer for it is culture war and spiritual warfare. If we each do our part like joining a church, living history club, farming coop, NRA shooting club etc we are then fighting back against the slovenly worldly tide!

I grew up fairly rural with a large creek and woods in my backyard, so from the time I was about 6 I usually had a fishing pole or gun with me, starting with BB’s and progressing to a .22 or shotgun.
My Dad actually steered me away from ML’s when I was about 15.
Back in the early/mid 70’s when muzzle loading was really growing, and I wanted to get one, he talked me out of it. You don’t want one of those, too hard to clean, a lot of trouble shooting it, etc.
Took me 40 years to finally see the light.

I guess the kids I work with are the exception. The group of 12 I work with in Muzzleloading are excited and engaged in what we’re doing, and I’ve even had a couple say that their favorite part of class is cleaning guns :)
I don’t know how many of them will stick with it long term, but they certainly enjoy the sport and I hope it teaches them many life skills while they’re involved.
Are they rural kids or urban kids? Curious if that makes a difference in their interest

I grew up fairly rural with a large creek and woods in my backyard, so from the time I was about 6 I usually had a fishing pole or gun with me, starting with BB’s and progressing to a .22 or shotgun.
My Dad actually steered me away from ML’s when I was about 15.
Back in the early/mid 70’s when muzzle loading was really growing, and I wanted to get one, he talked me out of it. You don’t want one of those, too hard to clean, a lot of trouble shooting it, etc.
Took me 40 years to finally see the light.
My dad did the same, “get something that’s worth something” :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back