• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping it simple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Have been shooting MLers since 1976 and really didn't do all that much experimentation to arrive at accurate loads and a cleaning procedure that really does the job of producing rust free bores and metal exteriors. ...short and long term.

Use plain old hot water, a wire brush, wet and dry patches and Oxyoke 1000 Plus....which is also the patch lube when shooting. Simple , you bet.

Did a lot of CF reloading for various rifles including a 19 lb bench rifle in .22/250 cal. and achieving top notch accuracy was always the "goal" which entailed a lot of technical stuff.

So when I acquired my 1st, 2nd and 3rd hunting MLers was amazed at how easy it was to achieve "squirrel head" accuracy w/ all....whether it be a conical or PRB. No OP wads, paper wrapped conicals or any number of other "so called improvements".

A patch of suitable thickness, a swaged RB, a powder charge to suit the gun's quarry and a priming charge that is haphazard at best....asre amount and location in the pan. Simplicity at its best.

Of course the MLer has to function properly whether it be a cap or flintlock and if things have to be complicated to achieve top notch performance, then the gun is at fault and I for one, don't tolerate such a MLer.

A quality MLer is a very accurate and reliable gun which doesn't require a whole lot of "fiddling around" to perform. Just like to keep things simple.....Fred

That's how I was with my Lyman Great Plains, .50 . . . It can shoot 70, 80 or 90 grains of 3f with about the only difference being how high or low it shoots.

It grouped to the left a bit, and I drifted the sights and that was it.

That was 5 years ago and two deer ago. . .

BUT, i am looking for accuracy the size of the bottom of a coffee can at 75 yards . . I've placed 3 shots into a clover leaf off a bench at much closer ranges.

I chalked it up to a good gun and my dumb luck. . . but when it came to "squirrel head" accuracy with my .32 . . I'm still working on that. . . not quite there yet. . . need much more range time with it.

This is a typical target fired by my TVM EV .50 X 42". I sat down on an old bucket and fired unsupported. 5 shots 1-1/4". Unfortunately I no longer own the rifle, but it was a beaut.

I think part of achieving desirable accuracy has a lot to do with getting used to shooting the particular gun as well. While working up a load one is also practicing with that gun.

Right now on my early Lancaster I have gone totally primitive with an antler powder measure and know darn well that the load varies from time to time. So too does the amount of primer when pouring straight from the horn. I don't pick the vent much anymore, either. However, I'm shooting clover leafs at 50 yards and only a little larger at 75. Ive just gotten used to the rifle. (I also know when I pull one, or don't execute follow through properly - pretty much immediately.)

In the beginning I was doing a lot of experimenting with grain increments, patches, etc, but I think in the end it was as much the shooter (me) as the gun.

Sort of off the topic, but something to think about. I think one of the reasons I initially got into muzzleloading was that I was drawn by what I thought was the complexity. I enjoyed that aspect, still do (it's fun to talk about, too), but I've grown to appreciate keeping it simple, too. I think hunting with a muzzleloader puts more emphasis on keeping it simpler, too.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that most people 90%+ are just terrible shots.....Heck! even if I let them shoot my gun they still can't come close to target level accuracy...
Far too many people pick a gun up once a year and expect to be gold medal winners....Expecting the gun to do all the work. :shake:

colorado clyde said:
One thing I've noticed over the years is that most people 90%+ are just terrible shots.....Heck! even if I let them shoot my gun they still can't come close to target level accuracy...
Far too many people pick a gun up once a year and expect to be gold medal winners....Expecting the gun to do all the work. :shake:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Went through years of that when I was younger until the "light" turned on. Spent that whole winter practicing and won the woods walk at the next rendezvous.

I believe that is the bigger problem. What really gets me is guys who can't shoot a decent group off of a bench then say well that's good enough to kill a deer. If you paper plate accurate off of a bench how much worse are you in hunting situations. I'll never claim to be a good shot but come on man atleast practice from a sitting and supported standing positions.

:bow: Being a hunter instructor I get to see a lot of the so called great shoots. As stated 90% can not even hold a rifle correct! Well it only takes in todays world $$$ and any one is an expert :idunno:

Fred, finding your "happy spot" in any hobby is critical. I always say if you ain't happy in your hobby, why are you doing it. Obviously, you have found your happy spot. So, ignore the nay sayers and keep on keeping on. What you are doing is right for you. I may do it differently, try different things, searching, searching for that sweet spot but maybe the search itself is my happy spot. Be happy, keep making smoke and have a Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

colorado clyde said:
Even worse, are guys that never get off the bench...

I agree, Clyde. But, these days I am tied to the bench due to an irreparable injury to my left shoulder. I now find it too difficult to support a rifle off hand steady enough to hit a barn. So, now I sit at a bench plugging away making smoke and noise.....but I've got a big grin on my face and memories of the good old days when I used to shoot in the matches at Friendship and hunt squirrels in the Indiana woods. Good memories! :grin:

Gotta agree w/ you....although shooting MLers isn't my main hobby....building 'em is. Perhaps I just lucked out w/ my first build which has been my squirrel LR since 1977 and has given me trouble free service since. No doubt this LR has skewed my assessment as to how trouble free LRs should behave. It also is the most accurate LR I own.....100s of head hit squirrel are testimony of its accuracy.

Building MLers and hunting were my main leisure time past times and didn't have time to "experiment" w/ all the possible ways to load a MLer.....so very quickly found a load and this load hasn't changed at all since first being used.

Same goes for my deer and elk rifle....found a super accurate "big" load and it's accounted for quite a few kills.

One of my main points is that many of the complicated loadings and excessive technical "fixes" are the result of "lousy MLers".......Fred

In his "Book of Five Rings", famed swordsman Myamoto Musashi advised against developing a bond with any particular sword. Wonder if this would apply to rifles?? :idunno:

flehto said:
So when I acquired my 1st, 2nd and 3rd hunting MLers was amazed at how easy it was to achieve "squirrel head" accuracy w/ all....whether it be a conical or PRB. No OP wads, paper wrapped conicals or any number of other "so called improvements".

One of my main points is that many of the complicated loadings and excessive technical "fixes" are the result of "lousy MLers".......Fred

I tell you what I would be willing to shoot my paper patched bullets against your naked bullets at 300 yards. You can see how a "lousy" gun with "complicated loadings and excessive technical "fixes" " hits steel targets. Remember that paper patching dates back into the mid 1800's. They didn't come up with paper patching to fix anything. They wanted accuracy at long range and they wanted their loads to be consistent.

Your post belches arrogance and I fail to see where that arrogance comes from. Shooting squirrels at 20 yards?
Anyone that can shoulder a rifle can make one shoot well out to squirrel range, ANYONE.

Idaho Ron said:
I tell you what I would be willing to shoot my paper patched bullets against your naked bullets at 300 yards. You can see how a "lousy" gun with "complicated loadings and excessive technical "fixes" " hits steel targets. Remember that paper patching dates back into the mid 1800's. They didn't come up with paper patching to fix anything. They wanted accuracy at long range and they wanted their loads to be consistent.

Your post belches arrogance and I fail to see where that arrogance comes from. Shooting squirrels at 20 yards?
Anyone that can shoulder a rifle can make one shoot well out to squirrel range, ANYONE.

Come on Ron!....I think you missed his point... :bull: :td: :shake:

Back