• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kansas squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just 12 more days till the Kansas squirrel opener. I am looking forward to it this year.

No Spring season here, an they are all over the place down here. I could limit out just walking the 400 yards down my street, But the folks that live here would probably complain. :nono: I've had 2 or 3 in my front yard an 2 in the yard next door an 2 or 3 in the yard across the street, can you say covered up?.

We have a very long season here. I could get my limit in my backyard and the neighbors would be happy but law says even pellet guns are a no-no. It was so dry here last season very few trees had any nuts. I am hoping the rain we have had makes this season better.

Squirrel season opens the 25th of this month here in Missouri and I've got a bunch of young grays right behind the house just waiting to be lead to a skillet of hot grease.

Since I don't have a BP rifle in a squirrel caliber, I'll start out with my turkey gun and cut the powder down. They sure are fun to chase with a longbow too!

Darren

I will be killing many here on Ft Riley. The evil squirrels must die die die before they take over the world.

We have a bird feeder and my wife doesn't like squirrels...both feeding on the bird seeds or eating them. But, I relish fried squirrel, so every once in a while I get lucky w/ the slingshot and have one for lunch. It's legal to shoot in my area but the eyes aren't sharp enough to use the .22....the slingshot is instinctive and somehow does better......Fred

I envy you having a decent place to hunt. When we lived in Indiana, I could go to good squirrel woods just a short distance from my home. I spent many a fine day in the woods and getting squirrels was just the cherry on top of a great hunt. To me, a great hunt was just spending time in the woods looking for squirrels. There were times when I didn't get my limit of squirrels but it was still a great hunt. Even when I was caught out in the rain or snow, it was a great hunt. :thumbsup: Now we are in the Hill Country of Texas where trees are short and squirrels are very limited. I'd have to drive all the way to East Texas and stay in a motel to hunt squirrels. Kinda makes a squirrel hunt expensive compared to spending nothing to hunt, only a small amount for gas and less than a dollar for powder, caps or flints and balls. Big difference. :(

Is there enough public land in Kansas that I could head out there and chase the little guys around? I did not draw any tags for the fall and never got to go Turkey hunting. If I have a few days free i might ponder heading to Kansas to shoot bushy tails with my flinter!!! I'm itchin to burn some powder and make meat!!

Lots of public land in Kansas and most has squirrels in good numbers. If you try to get to Kansas let know and I will try to help you get on some squirrels.

man this brings back memories of growing up in southern iowa hunting fox squirrels I now live in rural new mexico we have aberts squirrels here and they are very tasty just have to travel quite aways and they are few and far between. good hunting and God bless

I live in Angel Fire, If you want to come up this fall I know a spot where there are a bunch of aberts just itchin to be shot at with smokepoles! :thumbsup:

steveks said:
Just 12 more days till the Kansas squirrel opener. I am looking forward to it this year.

Hey have you killed any tree rats yet. The ones I have killed a few had worms in them. Just wondering whats going on or is it normal for Kansas. Im new to hunting squirrels in KS.

Worms under the skin? Warbles? Ours down here get 'em during the summer. When the weather cools off they go away. Doesn't hurt the meat any. Pretty gross looking though.

Ok well thats good to know thanks. Its pretty hot right now in KS, mid 90's most days. Plenty of squirrels though. I am glad they will go away then so maybe I should wait I was just hoping to stockpile squirrels in the freezer now versus trying to do it during deer season.

Latest posts

Back