• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kansas Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I am from Topeka. New to muzzleloading. Just built my first Traditions flintlock and purchased a nice used Hawken percussion lock rifle. Joined the First Santa Fe Trail Plainsmen group last month.

Hello. I am from Topeka. New to muzzleloading. Just built my first Traditions flintlock and purchased a nice used Hawken percussion lock rifle. Joined the First Santa Fe Trail Plainsmen group last month.
Glad to have you join us. Hope to see you next month at the Spring Rendezvous.

Hello, I am from Kingman KS about 45 miles west of Wichita on 54. New to KS and just getting into black powder seriously. Would love to meet some other black powder enthusiast. I would love to see a true primitive deer season in KS no inline, black powder only only not when its 100 degrees in Sept!!

Kansas Jake I would like to see a season just for flintlocks and side percussion no black powder subs. A special season maybe late in the year. Our all muzzle-loader season is just stupid in Sept.

In September it is usually in the 80s and 90s in the day and maybe 70s at night. The deer are all scattered around corn and soybean fields in our area. If you don't have access to some farmer's land the pickins are slim. Also, ticks and mosquitoes are in full flow. I've walked a lot of public hunting lands in that time and fresh tracks are few and far between. There are deer there, but they are hard to find. Also, most walk in and public lands don't allow vehicles so that puts a further hinderance on old guys going out. I really don't relish the idea of dragging a deer half a mile up and down hills at my age in 90 degree weather.

I'll resurrect this thread with my introduction. I'm a suburbanite in Johnson County getting back into muzzleloading after a 15 - 20 year hiatus. I hunted and shot an unmentionable but also a 20 bore underhammer and an Austin & Halleck .50cal percussion mountain rifle. I still have them and look forward to getting them out again and making some smoke.

@Metalshaper - Did you ever get your shop up and running? I might need someone to duplicate a tang for a current rifle project.

I'm in NE Kansas just north of Leavenworth.

I've shot muzzle loaders off an on but never really mastered the craft.

Currently have a cap and ball revolver (1860 Army) and a Pedersoli Brown Bess copy.

It has been a literal blast getting back into black powder!

I lived in Manhattan,KS from 1994-1997, while stationed at Fort Riley. I absolutely loved the area. Miss it greatly. Used to keep our shotguns in our cars then walk the fields behind the motor pools during lunch.

I'm from SE Kansas grew up in the Flint Hills. Trapping, Hunting, Camping, Fishing. Been fascinated with the Western Fur Trade and the West in general my whole life. Been around Black Powder weapons most of my life gittin more into them last few years. I own a Lyman GPR and T/C Renegade .54 calibre. I'm looking for a .50 cal 1-60 twist barrel for the GPR. I was defiantly born a 160 years to late

Hi Sante Fe. I feel the same way at times until it comes to treating health issues. You might also post your need in the classifieds here as well under the for firearms for sale/ wanted section. That would open it up to a broader audience.

I'm from the wichita area, south side near Mulvane. Im starting to think I am the only black powder shooter in my neck of the woods.

Chris

Back